cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Creating a Form in Power BI for external users to edit the data

Hi, I have Power BI dashboard to display visuals. I want to include a form so that when other users find incorrect data in the dashboard, they can directly correct the information. I understand that a user can directly go and edit the query data if they have access, but I cannot give access to all that information to all the users and also it is highly inconvenient for them.

A video from YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuRzj0X348) addressed the problem I have and suggested that I use PowerApps to solve the problem. But I am facing a whole lot of problems with that because my data is too big to put connect with PowerApps. I just want to know from this forum, if there is any other alternative way to edit that data. I could not find any help online for that. If perhaps there is another forum and I missed it, my sincere apologies and please direct me to it. Please do help me as this feature is crucial for my dashboard to work. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Re: Creating a Form in Power BI for external users to edit the data

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Creating a Form in Power BI for external users to edit the data

Hi @johneapen,

I was just circling back on this and thought I'd give some pointers to you.

Depending on the source of your data, and if you want the users to directly edit the data in the source (database), then Power Apps is the way to go. You can embed your Power App in the Power BI report or dashboard. 

If you want the users to make a remark/comment about the bad/wrong data, you could set up a form (e.g. in Microsoft Forms) and let the users fill out that form. If you publish an App from a Power BI Workspace, you can embed content inside that app, so that the users don't leave the App when going to the form.

You can also make a button on the report to direct the users to that form.

Have a look at Designing custom navigation for Power BI apps is now available on how to do that. Make sure that you set the Form to Open in the Content area, and that you use an Embed link for the Form.

If you want, you can even embed PowerPoint presentations in there 🙂

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,317)