cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lokeshpatel
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Approvers with timeout

Hello,

I am looking into an approval mechanism for my organization. I've researched quite a few things without any luck. 

TLDR; Approval of SharePoint documents, with one or more dynamic approvers, without timing out, and having individuals see other's responses prior to making their own.

Long version; I have a SP Document Library. I have created a Flow that can be triggered when a document is ready to be approved. This prompts the user for individuals that need to approve the document and if it has to go through one or two step approval. From @RezaDorrani's excellent videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTyFh-qDKAiFUGTtwSwFT79Y7_jq_Aipe), I have created a Flow that includes: dynamics approvers, state machine, timeouts, and log history. The issue comes in when I try to look at approvals. My goal would be to send an approval, have the individuals look at history, review other's responses, and not have it timeout. I have a column in SP that updates the individuals that have not responded when the Flow times out after 29 days 😆. The Flow will rerun with the approvers in this column and keep the log history in another column. 

I have played around with Flow approvals, Adaptive Cards, and Actionable Messages. In each case, there doesn't seem to be a full solution. Something as simple as this would work, but triggered by Flow.

lokeshpatel_3-1633548023803.png

Flow Approvals:

Spoiler

Adaptive cards:

Spoiler

Actionable Messages:

Spoiler

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lokeshpatel
Frequent Visitor

@Cam

What I ended up doing was going into the dataverse and adjusting the line item of the approval. If there is no response within 29 days, I "cancel" that line item. This will update the adaptive cards on all system. If you need more details, please let me know!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this can help but I found this video that explain how to avoid Flow's timeout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EyuQjW8u_E

Cam
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

hello @lokeshpatel 

adaptive card v1.4 are now rendering properly in teams, when sent from Power Automate via the Flow Bot

(using the 'Post Adaptive Card and Wait for a Response' action)

I've not yet found a good way to update the adaptive card after the flow times out 😐
but hopefully you find a way, now that v1.4 is available in teams.

lokeshpatel
Frequent Visitor

@Cam

What I ended up doing was going into the dataverse and adjusting the line item of the approval. If there is no response within 29 days, I "cancel" that line item. This will update the adaptive cards on all system. If you need more details, please let me know!

hello @lokeshpatel 

I'm also using the the dataverse update method for cancelling approvals that have timed out.

it works quiet well 🙂

Cam_0-1642554490528.png

I'm stuck on what to do about adaptive cards though.

i assume that adaptive cards are not stored in the dataverse... so i'm unsure what to do here.

Cam_1-1642554617976.png

do you have any idea's on how to update an adaptive card that has timed out?

samcharles93
Frequent Visitor

do you have any idea's on how to update an adaptive card that has timed out?

I'd love to know this also

i was hoping we could use the 'update an adaptive card' action,

but unfortunately that doesn't work 😞

(but i'm not sure why it doesnt work, as this appears to be the reason that action exists)

you could possibly use the Graph API to delete the message, but not sure on that one.

example flow:

Cam_2-1661499504582.png

run error

Cam_3-1661499652833.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events happening this month - don't miss out!

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a free PVA chatbot creation workshop

Register for a free PVA chatbot creation workshop

Learn how to respond rapidly to your customers and employees at scale, using intelligent conversational chatbots.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,570)