cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ENjoroge
Helper II
Helper II

Summary can't exceed 255 characters

My PVA bot is intergrated via a JIRA connector.I am using power automate to call Jira and create a ticket.The bot is now available in teams.

One of the of the fields ; Summary has a limit of 255 characters. I would like to alert the user when has reached the character length.At the moment the users justs gets an error and no ticket is created.I have to go to power automate to get the error as attached.

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"summary":"Summary can't exceed 255 characters."}}

Spoiler

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Thank you so much for your swift response.Testing this and will revert with an update.

View solution in original post

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @ENjoroge,

When you mean stop typing, you mean the bot only uses the first 255 characters of the message the user has typed?

If so, you could use a substring function in your flow.

Below is an example:

In the If Yes it just uses the original text, because it is equal to or less than 255 characters.

In the If No it uses the following expression to only use the first 255 characters of what the user typed.

substring(triggerBody()['text'], 0, 255)

createsubstring255_jira.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ENjoroge
Helper II
Helper II

ENjoroge_0-1646314098700.png

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @ENjoroge,

You could use a length function and a condition in your flow. When it is over 255 characters you could use a custom message and sent that back to the Power Virtual Agent.

Below is an example setup.

1. Make sure you have a result string variable in your flow

2. Also add a Condition action, use the following expression to check for the length:

length(triggerBody()['text'])

is less than or equal to 255

3. Add your create ticket in Jira action in the If Yes section. 

4. Add the custom message that the summary is to long in the If No. Use the 

length_pvacheck.png

The setup above would result in something like below in the bot.

JIRA_summary255.gif

Thank you so much for your swift response.Testing this and will revert with an update.

This works perfectly but will rather complicate my long flow.

@Expiscornovus Can i have this;Instead of displaying the message,it stops typing beyond the 255 characters.

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @ENjoroge,

When you mean stop typing, you mean the bot only uses the first 255 characters of the message the user has typed?

If so, you could use a substring function in your flow.

Below is an example:

In the If Yes it just uses the original text, because it is equal to or less than 255 characters.

In the If No it uses the following expression to only use the first 255 characters of what the user typed.

substring(triggerBody()['text'], 0, 255)

createsubstring255_jira.png

ENjoroge
Helper II
Helper II

@Expiscornovus thank you so much for this.I was able to get it to create a ticket in both ways.

Still have a question ;i would like to capture InitialUserMessage and or Chat transcript and dump that conversation into the ticket.Any idea?

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @ENjoroge,

As far as I am aware it still takes at least 6 hours before the transcript to reaches Dataverse.

So, you would have to work with delays (and update the Jira ticket afterwards with those details) in order to retrieve the transcript data. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General/Conversation-Transcript/td-p/589400

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,245)