cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markslosberg
Resolver II
Resolver II

Values Returned from a Flow to a Component

Has anyone else had problem passing Flow return values back to a Power App Component (not  the main Canvas App)?

I built a component that calls a Flow to add a row to a Dataverse/CDS table.  I want to return the ID of the row after it is created back to the calling Component.  I have tried the following Flow Cards

1. Respond to Power App or Flow (I have tested both the Text and the Number options) 
    • image.pngimage.png
    • image.pngimage.png
  2. Response (I have configured it to return several different simple objects.
    • image.png

In ALL cases, the only thing being returned is a Boolean (presumably whether the Flow processed successfully, as I am always getting a true).

In the Power App Component OnSelect it looks like this:

Set(
    varMatterID,
    SubmitNewIssueEnhancement.Run(
        txtDescription.Text,
        drpIssueOrEnhancement.Selected.Value,
        drpScreenName.Selected.MenuLabel,
        drpSeverity.Selected.Value
    )
);
Notify(
    "You have successfully submitted MatterID: " & varMatterID,
    NotificationType.Success
);

image.png

Thoughts anyone before I call this into support?  Is this perhaps yet another limitation of a Component?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
markslosberg
Resolver II
Resolver II

So I don't know if I have answered my own question but after a little more testing by running this Flow outside of a Component and just inside of a Canvas App, it certainly appears that I have stumbled on either a "bug" or an "undocumented feature or limitation".  It appears that no matter what value the Respond to a PowerApp or Flow returns (Text, Number, Email, File, etc) the only thing that the Component recognizes is a boolean (true/false).

I tried to put more detail in this message but the HTML parser is barking at me.  Contact me if you want more details.

Anyway, I clearly haven't "solved" it but I will mark it solved so no one else wastes the number of hours I did on it and now I will go and submit this as a Support Ticket.  I have looked carefully at the Known Limitations and don't see this particular one. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
markslosberg
Resolver II
Resolver II

So I don't know if I have answered my own question but after a little more testing by running this Flow outside of a Component and just inside of a Canvas App, it certainly appears that I have stumbled on either a "bug" or an "undocumented feature or limitation".  It appears that no matter what value the Respond to a PowerApp or Flow returns (Text, Number, Email, File, etc) the only thing that the Component recognizes is a boolean (true/false).

I tried to put more detail in this message but the HTML parser is barking at me.  Contact me if you want more details.

Anyway, I clearly haven't "solved" it but I will mark it solved so no one else wastes the number of hours I did on it and now I will go and submit this as a Support Ticket.  I have looked carefully at the Known Limitations and don't see this particular one. 

Same problem.

Nothing to do then?

I haven’t looked into this since I posted my reply. I just gave up and worked around that (and many other) Component limitations at the time. I found that the whole Component area, while promising and powerful, was so underdeveloped and immature at the time that I ended up just using it for the most basic repetitive data entry forms and visual components. 
It is probably worth revisiting recent releases and a Support Call to see if what, if anything, has changed but based on your experience, it doesn’t sound like much. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,088)