Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MASA
Helper I
Helper I

How to troubleshoot power automate flows

Hi all,

so we are moving from classic dynamics workflows to power automate and I like PA very much, however one drawback that I experience now running a bunch of flows is the lack of data when troubleshooting specific flows!

Before with classic workflows we had the process history where we could sort on entity that triggerd the process, user, date/time and so on. Now with PA we only have the run history list. Well that works fine when developing a flow, however in prod and there had been an issue a week ago its almost impossible to find that specific run, or what flows had run on an entity at all.. 

So how do you all handle this, is there a 3rd party tool that might do the trick or am I missing something here?

hope to get some good feedback

regards

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There's documentation here @MASA about how to create a workspace in ALA:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/logs/quick-create-workspace

Below are SS's of a PA Child Flow to handle the processing of errors, using When a HTTP request is received trigger. This trigger will grant you an API endpoint in Azure that you would use in your workflows through a HTTP action to POST a JSON payload.

Gaznae_0-1630484096319.png

Gaznae_1-1630484580708.png

Above, you will see an email has been added to send an email notification. If you use Customer Service in D365, you can send this email to a Queue, which in turn can be generated into a Case, giving you another environment to review and resolve errors.

The payload that you will build in your workflows can be constructed in a number of ways of course, example below.

Gaznae_2-1630484771642.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Gaznae
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi @MASA,

You can use Azure Log Analytics to store errors from PA into a custom log. You have a rich query engine in ALA to search and review logs.

There's connectors in PA already that will connect to ALA. I recommend creating a Child Flow in PA to operate as a 'common helper' to manage the logic for logging into ALA. Then, when you create workflows in PA, call this Child Flow when the workflow fails. A good way to call the Child Flow would be to create two Scope controls, one to hold all your workflow actions and another to handle the error logging and call your Child Flow should any of your actions in the first Scope fail.

Before calling your Child Flow, you will want to build up a payload to send to the Child Flow. This payload should contain telemetry about the failure. Data you would want to see in your logging within ALA.

Hi @Gaznae ,

this sounds interesting, do you know of any documentation, blog or guideline on this topic? 

regards

Martin

There's documentation here @MASA about how to create a workspace in ALA:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/logs/quick-create-workspace

Below are SS's of a PA Child Flow to handle the processing of errors, using When a HTTP request is received trigger. This trigger will grant you an API endpoint in Azure that you would use in your workflows through a HTTP action to POST a JSON payload.

Gaznae_0-1630484096319.png

Gaznae_1-1630484580708.png

Above, you will see an email has been added to send an email notification. If you use Customer Service in D365, you can send this email to a Queue, which in turn can be generated into a Case, giving you another environment to review and resolve errors.

The payload that you will build in your workflows can be constructed in a number of ways of course, example below.

Gaznae_2-1630484771642.png

View solution in original post

MASA
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Gaznae ,

thanks so much for the info, I will def. check this out.. 😄

have a nice day

regards

Martin

Gaznae
Advocate III
Advocate III

You are welcome, @MASA 

Please let me know how you get on! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,958)