cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Combine values into a single cell based on multiple criteria

I really need some help. @mahoneypat @watkinnc @Vera_33 @edhans  @v-kelly-msft I have the following table.  I need to create a new table whereby if the proj_short_name and Task_code are the same then I can have a column that combines all the Pred_Rel_Type for that task code in one cell (Pred_Rels).  For example in the box I have outlined, instead of that being two lines it would be one line and the Pred_Rels would show F/S, F/F.  Can someone please help me!! 

Here is a link to the sample data and my desired result:

Combine values into a single cell based on multiple criteria.pbix 

Taffalaffa_0-1626811670124.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Taffalaffa 

Yes, but what is the logic? I did a quick one, only looked at PRED_REL_TYPE, but there is one row different from your desired result, so I guess you have something else to consider

Vera_33_0-1627348871128.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("tZNRa8IwEMe/Suiz0K6piI9uIgz2IPjgg/gQ3DkDMYH0BD++Sd1sZ5KTbhUKae6S313u7r/ZZLPdEbJRNnspK7e86xqFUmxujK3d/v7bjro3Jm5ZCqmRffrz+d6KI/hrC6llfWBo2AqFxZafdPSANzfvEJywh+jpDb1CAJWv3ZOHSvsx+/rXPjLtCei88PSTa9BaWsh/uvUhvw7I9vKMJ5uu/5Ry/DnUrerd5CvKEYbyXVoa5TN7M3pnAYEt1PcIRtrKS8Ie4ptsQKgIPFr7Jp+0Jwwwvp73ERQInagzT00S71blFVCk9Rgp6rgoKEfI7SWsirD3QMdnPFnnX7pt8cPr9jE79vgJYQ/Iz9ds71D/bjSt2OiMl5QjDPAkzbYBBtPs9gI=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME = _t, TASK_CODE = _t, Task_Name = _t, PRED_REL_TYPE = _t, Pred_Task_Code = _t, SUCC_REL_TYPE = _t, SUCC_Task_Code = _t, #"Pred Dangler" = _t, #"Succ Dangler" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", type text}, {"TASK_CODE", type text}, {"Task_Name", type text}, {"PRED_REL_TYPE", type text}, {"Pred_Task_Code", type text}, {"SUCC_REL_TYPE", type text}, {"SUCC_Task_Code", type text}, {"Pred Dangler", type text}, {"Succ Dangler", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE", "Task_Name", "PRED_REL_TYPE"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Custom", each if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Finish to Start" then "F/S" else if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Start to Start" then "S/S" else if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Finish to Finish" then "F/F" else if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Start to Finish" then "S/F" else [PRED_REL_TYPE]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE", "Task_Name"}, {{"result", each Text.Combine(_[Custom],",") }})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Hi @Taffalaffa 

Agree with @edhans, you need to read the articles and understand how to ask your question...I don't understand what you want...you need to provide sample data and expected results in a format which everyone can copy (use Excel to generate some dummy data)

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Taffalaffa ,

Using below M codes:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMje0NDAy0gtILShILdJzDlLSUXL0DdDzDvbWMzY1APLcMvMyizMUSvIVgksSi0qUYnWI0ERQlRk5RqNpgrCI00VQlTk5DjInymgLspxtQchsv6AgPUMDEp1NoSaCqgzJMZrOmgiqMiLHaPI1KcXGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME = _t, TASK_CODE = _t, PRED_REL_TYPE = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", type text}, {"TASK_CODE", type text}, {"PRED_REL_TYPE", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE"}, {{"ALL", each _, type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME=nullable text, TASK_CODE=nullable text, PRED_REL_TYPE=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Expanded ALL" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Index", "ALL", {"PRED_REL_TYPE"}, {"ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE"}),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded ALL", "Index.1", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index1", "Custom", each try #"Added Index1"[ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE]{[Index.1]-1} otherwise null),
    #"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE"}, {{"Max index", each List.Max([Index.1]), type number}, {"All", each _, type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME=nullable text, TASK_CODE=nullable text, ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE=nullable text, Index=number, Index.1=number, Custom=nullable text]}}),
    #"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "All", {"ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE", "Index", "Index.1", "Custom"}, {"All.ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE", "All.Index", "All.Index.1", "All.Custom"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded All", "Custom", each if [All.Index.1]<>[Max index] then null
 else if [All.Custom]="Finish to Finish"
        then "Start to Start" else "Finish to Start"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom1",{{"All.ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE", "PRED_REL_TYPE"}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Max index", "All.Index", "All.Index.1", "All.Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

And you will see:

vkellymsft_0-1627024395373.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Kelly,

Thank you so much for the help! This is super close to what I need.  I have modified what you put and am getting an error that I am hoping you can solve for me.  In the custom column you made I need the output to be a string of all the existing relationships for that task.  So if all the relationships are "Finish to Start" then it shows "F/S".  But if one of the relationships is "Finish to Start" and another for that same task is "Start to Start" then the custom column would show "F/S, S/S" and so on and so forth.  But I can't quite figure out how to make that work.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMje0NDAy0gtILShILdJzDlLSUXL0DdDzDvbWMzY1APLcMvMyizMUSvIVgksSi0qUYnWI0ERQlRk5RqNpgrCI00VQlTk5DjInymgLspxtQchsv6AgPUMDEp1NoSaCqgzJMZrOmgiqMiLHaPI1KcXGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME = _t, TASK_CODE = _t, PRED_REL_TYPE = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", type text}, {"TASK_CODE", type text}, {"PRED_REL_TYPE", type text}}),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE"}, {{"ALL", each _, type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME=nullable text, TASK_CODE=nullable text, PRED_REL_TYPE=nullable text]}}),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
#"Expanded ALL" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Index", "ALL", {"PRED_REL_TYPE"}, {"ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE"}),
#"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded ALL", "Index.1", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index1", "Custom", each try #"Added Index1"[ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE]{[Index.1]-1} otherwise null),
#"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE"}, {{"Max index", each List.Max([Index.1]), type number}, {"All", each _, type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME=nullable text, TASK_CODE=nullable text, ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE=nullable text, Index=number, Index.1=number, Custom=nullable text]}}),
#"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "All", {"ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE", "Index", "Index.1", "Custom"}, {"All.ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE", "All.Index", "All.Index.1", "All.Custom"}),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded All", "Custom", each if [All.Index.1]<>[Max index] then null
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Finish to Start") then "F/S"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Start to Start") then "S/S"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Finish to Finish") then "F/F"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Finish to Start" and "Start to Start") then "F/S, S/S"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Finish to Start" and "Finish to Finish") then "F/S, F/F"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Finish to Start" and "Start to Finish") then "F/S, S/F"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Start to Start" and "Finish to Finish") then "S/S, F/F"
else if Text.Contains([All.Custom],"Finish to Start" and "Start to Start" and "Finish to Finish") then "F/S, S/S, F/F"
else "" ),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom1",{{"All.ALL.PRED_REL_TYPE", "PRED_REL_TYPE"}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Max index", "All.Index", "All.Index.1", "All.Custom"})
in
#"Removed Columns"

Got it!  Thank you for the feedback! I have updated my question so hopefully it is clearer and provided sample data and my desired result.

Hi @Taffalaffa 

Yes, but what is the logic? I did a quick one, only looked at PRED_REL_TYPE, but there is one row different from your desired result, so I guess you have something else to consider

Vera_33_0-1627348871128.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("tZNRa8IwEMe/Suiz0K6piI9uIgz2IPjgg/gQ3DkDMYH0BD++Sd1sZ5KTbhUKae6S313u7r/ZZLPdEbJRNnspK7e86xqFUmxujK3d/v7bjro3Jm5ZCqmRffrz+d6KI/hrC6llfWBo2AqFxZafdPSANzfvEJywh+jpDb1CAJWv3ZOHSvsx+/rXPjLtCei88PSTa9BaWsh/uvUhvw7I9vKMJ5uu/5Ry/DnUrerd5CvKEYbyXVoa5TN7M3pnAYEt1PcIRtrKS8Ie4ptsQKgIPFr7Jp+0Jwwwvp73ERQInagzT00S71blFVCk9Rgp6rgoKEfI7SWsirD3QMdnPFnnX7pt8cPr9jE79vgJYQ/Iz9ds71D/bjSt2OiMl5QjDPAkzbYBBtPs9gI=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PROJ_SHORT_NAME = _t, TASK_CODE = _t, Task_Name = _t, PRED_REL_TYPE = _t, Pred_Task_Code = _t, SUCC_REL_TYPE = _t, SUCC_Task_Code = _t, #"Pred Dangler" = _t, #"Succ Dangler" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", type text}, {"TASK_CODE", type text}, {"Task_Name", type text}, {"PRED_REL_TYPE", type text}, {"Pred_Task_Code", type text}, {"SUCC_REL_TYPE", type text}, {"SUCC_Task_Code", type text}, {"Pred Dangler", type text}, {"Succ Dangler", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE", "Task_Name", "PRED_REL_TYPE"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Custom", each if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Finish to Start" then "F/S" else if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Start to Start" then "S/S" else if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Finish to Finish" then "F/F" else if [PRED_REL_TYPE] = "Start to Finish" then "S/F" else [PRED_REL_TYPE]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"PROJ_SHORT_NAME", "TASK_CODE", "Task_Name"}, {{"result", each Text.Combine(_[Custom],",") }})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

View solution in original post

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for your help! And great catch on the desired result that was incorrect.  That was a mistake in my part!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,949)