cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Connect Power BI directly to Metabase

We use Power BI as our main reporting outlet, and we have a third-party Metabase data source.  

Currently I extract and download CSVs from Metabase and use them in Power BI, but I want to eliminate this step, and get Power BI to connect directly to Metabase. 

I've been told that I can use Hasura to accomplish this, but online information on Hasura is sparse, and what's there goes a little over my head. 

Does anyone have any experience in using Hasura for this purpose?  

Are there any alternatives? 

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @AndrewPF 

Currently there is not a simple direct connector for Metabase in Power BI. I saw Metabase provides a list of APIs for querying data, so it seems to be possible to fetch data from the databases you have. You can use its API to export data into a CSV. Or you can write some scripts to fetch data automatically. Then connect your Power BI report to the exported CSV file.

At present the first step is to figure out how to query data from a specific table in Metabase. I found some resources as below. Hope they would be helpful. 

Api Documentation (metabase.com)

Query Metabase data in Python. Metabase rest API and Python API | by Sophia Yang | Towards Data Scie...

Metabase Tutorial [PART #8] - Using the Metabase API - to fetch JSON, or Download a CSV - YouTube

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

SeraDragon

Hi Team, 

Can you please add a feature request for a direct connector to Metabase? Zapier does not directly connect with MB either, so this would be a great differentiator. 

Thanks, 

Sera

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,095)