I have a data set that has refreshed successfully in the past. It was built 3 days ago and refreshed fine for two days. Now I cannot refresh it either on the desktop version or from services. The error reads Expression.Error: The key didn't match any rows int he table. Other tables return the error message Load was cancelled by an error in loading a previous table. I tried to delete the problematic table from the data set with plans to re add it later. When I deleted the problem table, a second table threw the same error. I removed it too and a third then erred. It is a domino effect. All tables are failing one at a time. The tables, however, are fine. I can use them in other documents and in PowerPivot. any ideas?
A coworker updated her version and the gateway and is getting the same error. This was built in a group and resides in the group folder.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I am using power bi that has a dataset of multiple excel spreadsheets (tables) on sharepoint. I had no problems with refresh until....I had to add an additional table to the power query. I have two issues here...(1. how to fix the refresh 2. how to prevent this from happening as the dataset changes).
1. I get this error and I have followed the steps to resolve. When I use the desktop app, I hit refresh and everything works fine. It updates without error. When I go to "edit query" to see if there are errors, there are no errors. All I am going off of is the email I get that says the refresh failed. How can I narrow it down if there aren't errors? Is this error occurring for a specific table that I can isolate?
2. What caused this=> I added a table and created a power query in excel. When I appended the query to my existing query, what it does is creates a new tab with it appended. The only problem is that I have the dataset source pointing to the table "master" and now I have a table that is called "appended1". I have other tabs pointing to a tab called master and now I need to change the reference to appended1. It seems like I did something wrong with power query, so I went back through that process and tried other options when appending and still got the same result. I see myself having to fix this everytime a new tab is created. How can be more effective with this process?
Here's what worked for me:
- Have your replacement source file (e.g. excel file) ready to go. Make sure the file name and sheet names are the same.
- Then in PBI, in the Fields panel, right-click on the troublesome field. Delete it. The graph it populates will be replaced by a placehoulder saying "Something's wrong with one or more fields. Fix This". DON'T DO ANYTHING to the graph at this point.
- Instead, imediately click on Get Data. Select the new file and in a moment or two your graph should re-populate with the new data, and even retain the original formatting (e.g. colors, etc.). Hope this works for you.
I ran into this error and learned that the navigation step was referring to a SQL table and that the table name was case significant. I had changed the database table from "sales" to "Sales" and ran into the thread title error both from PowerBI on my desktop and PowerBI web service. I capitalized the table name in the navigation step and everything went back to working as it previously was.
I ran into this error and learned that the navigation step in the query was referring to a SQL table and that the table name was case significant. I had changed the database table from "sales" to "Sales" and ran into the thread title error both from PowerBI on my desktop and PowerBI web service. I capitalized the table name in the navigation step and everything went back to working as it previously was. Different cause, but wanted to share my experience and fix.
Again, a different cause - similar to Erik's post -the user's permissions were accidentally altered on a SQL Server database so that the table was no longer available (ie no SELECT was granted) and the error will occur. Can reproduce error (SQL 2014 and 2016). So check your table permissions just in case something has changed.
My datasource is google analytics, I'm getting same error.
From last 2 months query working fine but all of sudden this error pop up.
Anybody have any Idea what can I do.
Thanks in advance.
i had the same problem and i guess found solution.
if you use two google accounts (gmail) you should have two bi online accounts.
I'm connecting to a data source on SQL server and faced the same "key didn't match" issue. tried all suggestions from community and almost anything from net, but none has worked for me.
After 7 hours of research and trial and error, I discovered something related to my credential on SQL server that was causing this issue. I'm not sure why the "db_owner" was unticked!(might be due to the patching updates on the server) I checked the box then refreshed the report and now it is working as normal.
In SQL management Studio, navigate to the Databases\[database name]\Security\Users\ and double click on the userID to open the "Database User" window, then select the "membership" from the left side of the window.
I am the dabase owner so the db_owner is ticked, if you are not an owner, then make sure that at least the "db_datareader" is checked.
Hoping it helps you to save heaps of troubleshooting time.
I just wanted to thank you for your post. It helped me solve my issue.
I have my gateway configured to use a specific user on my SQL Server database. This user did not have db_owner set. Once I set that, my refreshes started working fine. I was thrown off bc the refreshes were working from Power BI Desktop but not in the Service.
Of course, these errors are so cryptic, you could spend a whole week trying to figure out what the heck they mean.
Anyhow, you saved me a lot of time and I thank you.