cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Power Bi connection with ODB (Excel File)

Hi
I'm relatively new to Power BI, I have an exel spreadsheet with 80,000 rows and I would like to import it into power BI using an ODBC connection, so that before importing I can make a query bringing only what I need.
however, I can't make the connection string with the Excel table.
The Excel file is saved locally, I've tried everything, I would really appreciate the help of this community to make this connection.

Yours sincerely

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

Why not using the regular Excel file connection ?

And then use Power Query to filter the data you need ?

Power Query will analyse the 1000 first rows of your source, and offers you the possibility to filter, transform, agregate the data you need.

Then you'll work on your visual and calculation in DAX with Power BI Desktop and it should be fine.

I've been working with Excel files even longer than 100 000 rows without any problems.

Hope it helps

Thank you for your answer, however I hope to have a performance gain, in this way I hope to eliminate many unnecessary steps

Yours sincerely

so, you wouldn't have any example for me to use?

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @fersale ,

If you want to filter before importing, you can import the excel data to SQL Server database first. When you connect SQL Server to Power BI Desktop, specify a SQL statement to filter.

vstephenmsft_0-1650444568706.png

Reference: Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @fersale ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved?
If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it.
Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

Hi

It's not a problem per se, I appreciate the answers given earlier, but it's not what I want to do.

I would like to know if it is possible to connect to an excel table via ODBC. I want this because it would allow me to process the data through an SQL query, thus eliminating some ETL steps, which in my opinion slow the query down.

thank you for your attention

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,875)