cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlesS
Advocate V
Advocate V

Power Query Dataflows: Performance and stability consistency issues

Dataflows based on Power Query are a great tool for business users to manipulate data from multiple sources, thus automating otherwise tedious manual work processes. However, I am still weary to recommend using Power Query dataflows at scale due to inconsistent performance and server stability.

For internal reasons, our environments (and thus Power Query servers) are in the Europe region. I was wondering if users in other reasons were regularly (weekly) experiencing such issues:

1. We encountered an unexpected error

This cryptic message pops up way too often when using the editor, or trying to open the Power Query editor. And then it disappears, minutes or hours later.

2. There was a problem refreshing the dataflow. please try again later.

A problem, what problem? Later, how much later?

3. Dataflows that regularly take only a couple minutes to run occasionally take much longer (sometimes several hours)

The above considers very similar data volumes and identical, Microsoft cloud-based data sources(ie Sharepoint cloud and Dataverse via OData)

In any case, these messages should be more detailed.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Power Query. I would just like to be able to rely on Power Query dataflows as much as I rely on other Microsoft products. As a Microsoft advocate within my organization, it is a little frustrating to have to go to my boss and say, "sorry, the dataflow crashed today, the numbers will be available later", "it crashed again? later, how long?", "later."

Thank you @bezhan-msft for your great work on this product. I am confident that the product will become more and more stable and will eventually be used even more broadly in the Power Platform (shameless plug, see my Idea post here : Action to transform data with Power Query - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com) )

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

The transition from Power BI Dataflows to Power Platform Dataflows is certainly painful. Hopefully the teething issues can be ironed out soon  (and the confusion removed too). 

Romansx22
Regular Visitor

i have the problem "There was a problem refreshing the dataflow. please try again later." anyone knows why this happen or any info of this error??

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,382)