cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ujjS_9

Unable to add Dataverse for Teams as source in DataFlows

Hi

I'm not able to add Dataverse for teams as datasource in Dataflows. Getting this error.
An exception occurred: DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: The 'ExecutePowerBISql' message is not supported for the Dataverse for Teams offering

I heard this was added as feature in PowerBI Dataflows, but I guess not here. Will this feature be rolled out for Power Platform Dataflow anytime soon? @dataflow 

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

You may try connecting to Dataverse for teams in Power BI Desktop, then copy its M codes from Advanced Editor and paste it into Power Apps dataflow. Not sure if this would work but you could give it a try. 

Connect to and transform Dataverse for Teams data from Power BI - Learn | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

ujjS_9

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still getting same error. 

ujjS_9_0-1645439030292.png

I copied the formula below and pasted in PowerApps DataFlow.

let
Source = CommonDataService.Database("orgXXXXXX.crm4.dynamics.com"),
dbo_cr3b3_query12 = Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="cr3b3_query12"]}[Data]
in
dbo_cr3b3_query12

KrAck
Helper I
Helper I

Have the exact same error when trying to establish a Dataflow from within Power Apps to my Dataverse for Teams tables.

While I'm perfectly capable of making this connection via Power BI Desktop?!?!?

KrAck_0-1646051211364.png

KrAck
Helper I
Helper I

My findings of today:

• When trying to add a flow via Microsoft Power Automate | Microsoft Power Platform
    • Doesn't work. As you need to establish a flow from within the Power Apps environments if you want to do this for DataVerse for Teams
  • But when trying to do that over there, you get the previously mentioned error
  • What worked in the end
    • Open 'Power Apps' in Ms Teams
    • Go to the Build Tab
    • Select your Teams space
    • Click on 'Open in Power Apps' in the 3 dots next to the Teams space's name
    • Click on 'Common Data Services Default Solution' in the Solutions menu
    • Under 'Cloud Flows' you can create a new flow:
      • KrAck_1-1646063324260.png

I'm really baffled how in God's name this can be made so utterly complex, because if you edit afterwards a flow created over there, you end up in the edit menu of https://emea.flow.microsoft.com/, but you will NOT see your previously created Power App Dataflow over there at all?!?!?

Even though the environment's GUID in both of these URL's are the same:

Seriously, how utterly complex can one make a GUI? This took me better part of an entire day to figure out!

Hello @KrAck ,

i do have the same problem with connecting a new dataflow to data from Dataverse for Teams.
The workaround that you've posted on 02-28-2022 04:52 PM shows a way to create a new cloud-flow, not a data flow or am i wrong?

Ive managed to access the menu you've showed by clicking "Show All" in the "Create tab" within PowerApps for Teams.

snip2.png

That still doesn't solve my problem to access the tables/data from an existing dataflow in "Dataverse for Teams"  with a new dataflow within the same Team.

Did you manage to realize that with your provided solution?

Greetings

KrAck
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @Sebastian030 ,

>> The workaround that you've posted on 02-28-2022 04:52 PM shows a way to create a new cloud-flow, not a data flow or am i wrong?

You're not wrong. I needed a cloud flow to store some data from DataVerse for Teams also in an on-prem SQL Server.

The 'Dataflows (Preview)' tab wasn't there yet when I posted this, but it's a welcome addition.

>> That still doesn't solve my problem to access the tables/data from an existing dataflow in "Dataverse for Teams"  with a new dataflow within the same Team.

Interesting, just tried that myself but also don't have the possibility to access tables/data that way from DataVerse for Teams.

>> Did you manage to realize that with your provided solution?

No, my case was to extract source data from an on-prem SQL Server and inject that in DataVerse tables for use in a Power App.

Grtz,

KrAck

>> That still doesn't solve my problem to access the tables/data from an existing dataflow in "Dataverse for Teams"  with a new dataflow within the same Team.

Hey @KrAck thank you for your reply.

I found a solution to use the tables from Dataflow1 as source for Dataflow2.

@ujjS_9 this might work for your too.

Situation is:
- Dataverse for Teams

- Dataflow1 creates two tables (or less/more)

- Dataflow2 should use tables/data from Dataflow1 as source

The Microsoft Documentation showed a possible solution using OData.Feed

Migrate data between Microsoft Dataverse environments using the dataflows OData connector - Power Ap...

Here's how i managed to get it work:

1.  Get the Instance URL for the Environments by

1.1 clicking the "Info" tab in Power Apps for Teams

1.2 clicking "Session Details"

1.3  Get the value of "Instance url"  i.e. https://<yourvalueshere>.crm4.dynamics.com/

Sebastian030_0-1651052093392.png

1.4 modify the url by adding "/api/data/v9.2/"

to get the final url (https://<yourvalueshere>.crm4.dynamics.com/api/data/v9.2/)

2.  Follow the above linked microsoft documentation to access the dataverse using OData.Feed

2.1 I had some issues with the authentication and my organisational account. When i pressed the "Sign in" button in Power Apps for Teams, edge would open a new tab and close it immediately. I found a workaound by opening Power Apps for Teams in PowerApps using the three dots (...) next to your Team Name in Power Apps for Teams.

Sebastian030_1-1651052093394.png

This workaround definately feels wrong, but so far its the only solution ive found.

If anyone found a different solution please let me know.

Greetings

You are an absolute genius! That workaround worked, even though I agree that it feels wrong.

@ujjS_9, please test it and accept it as a solution.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,834)