cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sureshkala
Level: Power Up

error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i n the project.

I am getting this error in the last step of creating the solution package while executing the command 'msbuild'

after the step msbuild /t:restore

I have taken an existing code from PCF gallery and trying to use the same.

Attached is the screenshot of error 

"C:\Folder\DataSet\Solution\Solution.cdsproj" (default target) (1) ->
(ResolveAssemblyReferences target) ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targe
ts(2110,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Expected a file but got directory "C:\Folder\DataSet\Con
trol\out\controls\". If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. [C:\Folder\DataSet\Sol
ution\Solution.cdsproj]

"C:\Folder\DataSet\Solution\Solution.cdsproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Folder\DataSet\Control\PCF-DataSetDemo.pcfproj" (GetProjectOutputPath target) (2:4) ->
C:\Folder\DataSet\Control\PCF-DataSetDemo.pcfproj : error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i
n the project.

1 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)

"

5 REPLIES 5
devendramsft
Level: Powered On

Re: error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i n the project.

Can you try a restore on pcfproj?
1. Go to directory containing pcfproj.
2. msbuild /t:restore
3. Copy restore msbuild logs.
4. Go to directory contaning cdsproj & run msbuild.
5. If this failed again, paste logs from step 3 & step 4 on this post, for us to take a detailed look.

I am suspecting you have an older version of pcf msbuild package ( targets/props) but we can confirm with the logs.
PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

Re: error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i n the project.

hi @Sureshkala , were you able to resolve this ? If not can you please share the details as per instructions from @devendramsft above ?

hemant 

Sureshkala

Changing the configuration to this line has resolved the issue

PackageReference Include="Microsoft.PowerApps.MSBuild.Solution" Version="0.*"

before resolving it was like

PackageReference Include="Microsoft.PowerApps.MSBuild.Solution" Version="0.1.*"

Sureshkala

Hi Hemath,

Yes I was able to resolve this. Thanks for your follow up.

devendramsft
Level: Powered On

Yes. 

This seems like the right mitigation. Apparently, you have controls project (pcfproj) created from an older verison of CLI where we had 0.1* in our templates. cdsproj would have been created from a later version of CLI where we corrected it to 0.* in our templates. Now, cdsproj was getting build tools of version 0.3.* where pcfproj was still stuck at 0.1.*. 

We would add this to our doucmentation in trouble shooting steps & document breaking changes in build tools more descriptively. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Users Online
Currently online: 78 members 3,719 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: