Level: Powered On

How to build a company-wide app that feeds data to Excel?

Newbie conceptual question ...

I want to build an application that lets everyone in my company submit data to a central location using a form in PowerApps. We have Office 365, and I think I can figure out how to create a SharePoint list and build an app from there. But the data isn't as useful in a SharePoint list as it would be in an Excel spreadsheet, because from the central repository it needs to be massaged, exported, etc. So I'd rather have my app connected directly to an Excel spreadsheet. But where do I put that spreadsheet? If I create it in my OneDrive for Business folder and share it with the rest of the company, that might work ... until I leave the company or for some reason don't want to be the "owner" of the data. It would be great if I could house the Excel spreadsheet within a SharePoint document library, but I don't think you can make a connection from PowerApps to a file within a library, can you?

Also, if the answer is to put it in a SharePoint list first and then somehow connect Excel to that list for purposes of data manipulation and export, can someone point me to instructions for creating a landscape app from a list? The app will be used primarily on desktop computers, not phones. But my attempts to start with a blank app and connect to a list have failed, and the wizards seem to force you into portrait mode.

Community Support Team

Re: How to build a company-wide app that feeds data to Excel?

Hi @David_Schrag,

We could change the mode of the App from PowerApps Studio-File->App Settings->Screen Size and orientation, after first generating.

For more details, see:

Change screen size and orientation in PowerApps

For the data source, if ownership is considered, then please consider to apply a public account, which is used to manage the fIles for organization usage.

Currently connecting to Excel stored under SharePoint library is not available from PowerApps, 

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Highlighted

Can you provide more information about using a public account in Office 365 to host files for the organization? For example, a best practices document? What license level would be required for this public account?

Also, it looks like creating a phone app and then changing its size and orientation is not the same as creating a tablet app to begin with, because even in landscape mode a phone app does not have the option to change aspect ratio to 16:9 or 4:3 as described in https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/set-aspect-ratio-portrait-landscape/.

Community Support Team

Hi @David_Schrag,

Yes, the Aspect ratio is Tablet Apps only.

For the Public Account, there is no related document here, which is my personal suggestion. This Account should be considered as a kind of Admin resources, and for admin use only. We may consider this account as the backup of the Admin Account.

Regards

Level: Power Up

Hi Im looking to build a company wide app that can easily send my e-business card to my new customer, and scan in my customers business card and store it in my outlook contacts. Any ideas?