Level 10

Re: PowerApp - Connect to access web app data

PS It seems that there is a 256 item limit on connections to Access Web App tables but I am trying to figure this out

Level: Powered On

I have tried to connect several times over the past months via the steps you provide. (my access web app is on SP online)

If I want to use the connection, I see a 'Default' dataset.  When clicking the 'Default' dataset I get an error message: 'the tables did not load correctly, please try again'

any ideas ?

The best method I have is, enable the read/write connection within access and then create a DSN file in notepad using the following text:

[ODBC]
DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0
UID=(username)
Pwd=(password)
Encrypt=yes
DATABASE=(database name)
SERVER=(servername)

Save the file with the extension .dsn

You can then load this as a file data source in access or wherever to create a linked table.

As with any linked table you will not be able to edit the table design.

Level 10

Hi, actually an even simpler version of the connection string works for me and others, maybe you could try that

Server=tcp:MYSERVER.database.windows.net;Database=MYDATABASE;User ID=DBUSER;Password=DBPASSWORD

See this post for example https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Data-from-SharePoint-lists-not-loading/m-p/3212#...

Thanks, this one works for me!

RK

Any update on this? I cant see the SQL Azure Data Source > New Connection option in the powerapps?

Level: Power Up

Hey, Julian. I'm late the the game since the death of AWA was just announced. I have two apps developed in AWA that we use all the time. But the system is built as a relaional db. I'm not seeing anything that addresses that. Everything looks like it is a single table app. I sure hope I'm missing something.

Level 10

Hi @merrikay

Can you please elaborate on the death of AWA?  Do you have a link to any information?

We have a major app that we use all the time, this would be a disaster.

Thanks in advance.

AWAs will not allow new apps to be created starting June.  It will be removed completely starting April 2018.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-Retirement-Blog/Updating-the-Access-Services-in-ShareP...

Highlighted

yes, you can connect to the web app azure data, but will not be very useful until PowerApps can connect to a view