cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GLMSDev
Level: Powered On

Update Component

Hi,

I have worked on the component and created the app. Now, when I have changed my code and used following commenad..

1. MsBuild /t:restore

2. Msbulid

it generates the zip file. Now, I already have component uploaded. first it does not ask if i want to replace the component. and second new code does not take effect. 

How do i make sure that my code is updated and running in the model driven app ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

Re: Update Component

It is following attribute in manifest. 

<control namespace="MyNamespace" constructor="MyControl" version="0.0.1" ...

Note that if there are incompatable changes in the control manifest like say removal/addition of the required property than the import fails. This is because there is no way for the current version configuration to account for the change. For these rare cases, please remove the control from configuration and then uninstall it. 

6 REPLIES 6
PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

You would need to update the control version in the manifest file. We are working on improving the user experience here as multiple folks have reported this.

There is no override warning as the action of solution import with the updated control version implies the upgrade intent, like all other solution components.
GLMSDev

Can you please provide which tag in manifest file ? When I did it threw an error of version not matching and  did not allow me to upload the component.

Highlighted
PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

It is following attribute in manifest. 

<control namespace="MyNamespace" constructor="MyControl" version="0.0.1" ...

Note that if there are incompatable changes in the control manifest like say removal/addition of the required property than the import fails. This is because there is no way for the current version configuration to account for the change. For these rare cases, please remove the control from configuration and then uninstall it. 

mcutchins

I tried changing the version number and the changes still did not take.  I have to remove the solution (which entails removing the control from each field, form, view, etc. it is associated with) and then import the solution as new.  This is not great from a maintenance perspective as manual changes are tedious and error prone. 

jbarber2019

@mcutchins This was helpful for me.  I accidentally posted the same topic as you.  This definitely is a lot to just update the component after you make changes to it.

PowerApps Staff GregHurlmanMSFT
PowerApps Staff

If you update your control version *and* the solution version, you should see an update without having to delete the old one first. We recognize this isn't ideal, and are working on a better devloop-deployment story.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

Follow PowerApps on Twitter

Stay Up-to-Date by following PowerApps on Twitter

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 4,342 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: