cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielst
Frequent Visitor

Automatic creation/updating of sharepoint lists from .txt files

Hi Community,

I have a question regarding Sharepoint lists.

I want to build an app, based on data that is exported weekly as a .txt file from the erp system and stored as a sharepoint document. The app should have a sharepoint list generated from the .txt file as a database.

What is the best way to generate a SharePoint list from this .txt file? The data records are separated by line breaks or semicolons. In addition, this SharePoint list should update automatically when a new .txt file is uploaded (same document name).

Many thanks in advance!
I am very grateful for any tips.

5 REPLIES 5
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@danielst hi there, I don't think generating list from .txt files is a good idea, instead if possible you can try excel or csv files with tables which would be more structured easy to build, maintain and update.

You can try txt but it is going to be very painful, if you face any specific issue please post the question and we can try it.

So excel or csv is what I am suggesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi jinivthakkar! Thanks for your reply!

Ok, then I will work with .csv from now on.
I have now saved the csv file as a SharePoint document on SharePoint. How do I now create a proper SharePoint list from it, which is automatically updated when this csv file is overwritten with a new csv (which has the same name)?
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@danielst Can't it be an excel ? 

Yes, it can also be an Excel. It is only important that the file is also kept up to date by transferring the .csv file and that the future app gets its data from it.
Unfortunately, the .csv file also has a few formatting errors - for example, several values in one cell, although they are separated with ";".
Should I use a flow to format and create the Excel? Or do you have better suggestions?

Thank you very much!

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@danielst excel would be best option, please check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDOwoPG9ua8

This will give you details about what other things that you need to take care while creating excel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,931)