cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint List: Read values from Excel attachments and input them back into the List

Hi, I'm very new to Power Automate but my office is looking to use it for some urgent business needs. We have a SharePoint List where people add new manifests and input all the relative information for them, and then attach a manifest document (usually xlsx) to each item in an "Attachments" column. The issue is that some people have not been filling in all the columns on the List; however, the attached manifest document sometimes have the info that is missing. I want to know is it possible to make a flow that will:

1. Filter the SharePoint List by certain conditions (ex. Customers = AA, Load # = "Empty")
  2. Based on those filters, open the "Attachments" column and open the manifest Excel file
  3. Read a value based on the column name (ex. Load = 3, 4, 5)
  4. Input that value back into a SharePoint column (ex. now the Load # Column has 3, 4, 5 for Customer AA)

I've only ever done a basic automatic email flow, so I was wondering is it even possible for Power to read from Excel attachments like I mentioned? How would I connect it to a certain column in the SharePoint connector? Any help or guidance is appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
manuelstgomes
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Let's do it step-by-step.

Can you please share your initial Flow so that we can work from there?

Cheers
Manuel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Manuel thank you for the reply,

So I'm starting off with a manual flow since filling in the missing info won't be caused by any automated trigger - Just checking for any blanks each week. Then I start off connecting to the SharePoint Site "For a selected item." There are several lists in the site for each location - would I have to make separate flows for each of them? The next step is where I get lost because I want to make sure it's first filtered by certain conditions, and not sure which block would do that

unnamed.png

manuelstgomes
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Here's a skeleton of what you need.

There's only one detail. Since you don't know the Excel path (it's in the attachment), you need to use the strategy here to open a file from a dynamic path. Use the "Full Path" that you can find in the Attachment details.

Here's a tutorial on how to open an Excel in a dynamic path:

https://manueltgomes.com/microsoft/powerautomate/how-to-access-dynamic-path-excel/

And there's the skeleton:

Screenshot_2021-02-11_at_17_29_53.jpg

Can you please check if and let me know if you have any questions?

Cheers
Manuel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi Manuel,

I have a similar problem and I was trying out your solution however I am stack in the part of File Path and the Table. 
I read your guide on how to get Excel's dynamic path but I am not sure how this is possible with an attachment from a list. 
Could you please explain how can we can intergrade this step into this "main" flow?

In my case by the way I don't even need to limit my excel by column and I just want to create a new item in a Sharepoint List, not update one with the content from the Excel file. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,438)