Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can we extend BF Virtual agent bot or skill by adding PVA bot

Hello,

We are big Microsoft enterprise customer and currently leverage Bot framework VA and skills. Our virtual agent interacts with 10K+ users per day. We would like to see if we can fit in PVA bots in our existing platform. The capability we are looking is 'Can BF bot invoke a PVA bot?' as needed.

I came across this Extend your bot using Bot Framework Skills which is nothing but adding Bf skill bot to PVA bot. We are looking for reverse of this.

It will be nice to see some documents and samples.

Thanks !

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Can we extend BF Virtual agent bot or skill by adding PVA bot

Hi Rohit,

Can you give us a use case on when you would want your Azure Bot to call a Power Virtual Agent? In other words, what's the business need to do that? The reason I'm asking is because PVA uses Azure Bot Framework at its core so it will be good to understand what you are trying to do so that we can offer a suitable solution, where applicable.

Regards

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

@MMostafa , the use case and, our motivation is very straight forward. Like I said we have an existing bot platform fully built on BF virtual agents and skills. So in the future we would like to reduce the cognitive load of writing code to build a skill / bot, and move towards no code / low code approach. This way non technical folks can build bots too. However, we should be able to keep existing BF platform in place, and just connect to PVA skill / bot as needed. 

Hope it make sense. Let me know. 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @rohitjadhav123 ,

Do you use fully Bot Framework?

If yes, you can create and use the Power Virtual Agents to communicate with your Skills (BF). 

In the future, you can move some parts in the BF skills to no-code in PVA or replace using Power Automate to reduce the code in this bot.

But, you can maintain your skills inside the bot environment, and the user can use it if don't want to do it using no-code.

After you move some parts or totally to PVA instead of Skills, you can publish your bot and the new version will be used deployed. Before you publish your bot, you can do a lot of things until you guarantee the right way to replace it. 

Even do replace, you can use the Skills (BF) added into the environment if you not sure 100% that no-code (PVA) is working normally.

Adding skills to topic documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-virtual-agents/advanced-use-skills#add-a-skill-to-bot-convers...

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Renato Romão
https://www.linkedin.com/in/renatoromao/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thanks!

Renato Romão,

Connect with me here 😉

Power Virtual Agents course (+1.000 students): https://www.udemy.com/pva-beginners
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

@renatoromaothanks for your suggestion on this.

@renatoromao wrote:

Do you use fully Bot Framework?

Yes, we do. We actually have ms teams bot that is actively  used by 15K+ employees.

@renatoromao wrote:

In the future, you can move some parts in the BF skills to no-code in PVA or replace using Power Automate to reduce the code in this bot.

yes, we can certainly re-write BF skills using PVA bots. However, this doesn't change the fact that out main bot ( the one which has already adopted by 15K+ people. ) should remain same. As in we can't replace this with PVA bot as in its our virtual assistant. It does lots fo things like user auth, luis dispatcher etc.

@renatoromao wrote:

After you move some parts or totally to PVA instead of Skills, you can publish your bot and the new version will be used deployed. Before you publish your bot, you can do a lot of things until you guarantee the right way to replace it. 

Even do replace, you can use the Skills (BF) added into the environment if you not sure 100% that no-code (PVA) is working normally.

Adding skills to topic documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-virtual-agents/advanced-use-skills#add-a-skill-to-bot-convers...

What do you mean by 'replace'? What the scope of it? As far as I understand ms team bot / app has unique ID so I can't just replace a bot with new one. It will be new PVA bot. Moreover, the link you provide is pointing to PVA to BF bot  and not BF bot to PVA which I'm trying achieve.

In order to make it more clear here is what i'm trying to achieve in the diagram bellow. We would like to have PVA called from existing BF virtual assistant as needed based on some intents triggered in virtual assistant.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 7.31.33 PM.png

Highlighted

Hi,

I think I understand what you are trying to achieve but typically, Power Virtual Agent is the one that has embedded Bot Framework skills and not vice-versa. In other words, most people PVA configure PVA and extended with skills, etc. This is because PVA is completely configurable, easier to build, maintain and support as opposed to a purely custom Azure Bot.

In terms of the diagram you showed, I think you are trying to get the Azure Bot (BF) to be the starting point before directing the user / customer to different PVAs. If you are happy with this redirection to be via a URL, this could work as you will then get the Azure Bot to link to another page/bot but I don't think this is what you are after. You want multiple PVA bots to be wrapped inside your existing Azure Bot. That, I don't think is currently available and I'm not aware if it would be available soon. This is because, it is typically the other way round: Your PVA bot encapsulates Azure Bots or redirects to other pages/bots and not vice versa.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

I came access this Add Power Virtual Agent bot to Azure Bot Service channels

Looks like this is the potential way to connect bring PVA bot to BF bot?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Yes @rohitjadhav123 .

Thanks!

Renato Romão,

Connect with me here 😉

Power Virtual Agents course (+1.000 students): https://www.udemy.com/pva-beginners
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

@renatoromao wrote:

You want multiple PVA bots to be wrapped inside your existing Azure Bot. That, I don't think is currently available and I'm not aware if it would be available soon

Hi @renatoromao , So what did exactly mean by above. Like what is 'currently not available'?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I'm not said, is @MMostafa hahaha 🙂

But this principle idea is: Organize all functionalities inside one PVA bot and not split in more than one bot, because probably you cannot use more than one PVA bot inside your Azure Bot Service.

---

Thanks!
Renato Romão
https://www.linkedin.com/in/renatoromao/

Thanks!

Renato Romão,

Connect with me here 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Community Conference

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Virtual Agents innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,343)