cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juresti
Level 8

Read tab delimited and write records

I've developed a solution to read in tab delimited files.

I had help from these sources which really helped figuring it out. Specially getting a tab character.

Sources:

https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/microsoft-flow-advanced-tutorial-creating-a-csv-converter...

http://techcarpenter.blogspot.com/2018/02/building-json-objects-in-microsoft-flow.html

Note: If your content is csv (comma separated) and it has commas in the fields you should follow my other post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Cookbook/read-csv-file-and-write-to-destination/m-p/260424#...

I would also suggest tab delimited over csv, you would have less issues and excel also provides option to save as tab delimited.

This is how I imported the tab delimited file and wrote it to SQL table.

1. get the file content tab delimited in this example

pic1.png

In the next 2 steps I set up my variables for new line and tab character which I use to parse out the data.

Note: to get the new line character and tab character I typed them in notepad and copied them to flow and they will appear as blank space.

2. set the tab character as a variable of type string and set its value copying a "tab" from notepad

pic2.png

3. set the "enter" new line character as a variable of type string and set its value copying a "return" from notepad

pic3.png

The next steps cover setting up the arrays that will hold all the data, then the array that will go through each column in a row.

4. set a new variable of type array - this var will be used to read each column in each row

pic11.PNG

5. set a new variable of type array - this var will hold the file content which we break into rows. We go ahead and set this array's value. This is where we break up the file content into rows.

Notice the value. We use skip to skip the header row if you have one. Then we use the varialbe new line as the split character. This makes each row into an item in the array.

So the value looks like so:

skip(split(body('Get_file_content_using_path'),variables('newLine')),1)

pic22.PNG

Now that this is all set up we move on to the final steps where we loop through the rows and get the columns and write them to a destination (SQL in this example).

6. Set up your apply to each loop. 

Note: for this to work you can't use concurrency control. It must be turned off. That means it may take time to write large amount or rows.

7. In the apply to each we loop through the data rows.

On each data row we set the value of our each data row array by splitting the row into columns using the tab as the split character.

The split columns value looks like so:

split(items('apply_to_each_-_data_rows),variables('tabChar'))

pic33.PNG

Now this gives us the row broken up into columns which we can now reference to write the data.

8. Write the data to SQL or other destinations. SQL used in this example.

Note: You could easily modify this step to update records.

Now set up your SQL insert columns by referencing each column of the "each data row" array which is an array of columns.

You will access each column by using its index just like c#, java, etc...

So your value of each field will look like so:

variables('eachDataRow')[0]
variables('eachDataRow')[1]
variables('eachDataRow')[3]...... etc

You only have to keep up with the position of each column so you write it to the correct corresponding destination column.
Your columns may be out of order depending on the order they are in at the destination.
0 is the first column, 1 is the second column, 2 is the third, etc...

Note: At this step you may need to use replace to remove any quotes, commas, or other characters, specially out of any money values. This gives you the opportunity to affect only one data column whic is what you need.

pic44.PNG

My sample run quick view:

pic1.pngpic2.pngpic3.pngpic4.pngpic5.png

pic6.png

pic7.png

pic8.png

pic9.pngsql query to verify records written

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
juresti
Level 8

Re: Read tab delimited / CSV and write records

Hello,

I'm glad this is helping users.

I was also having a hard time with it.

Thanks to those links I found I was able to fill in the remaining pieces to document the complete steps.

I will also post how to update a destination database or table from a tab delimited / CSV which is very similar to this one.

View solution in original post

juresti
Level 8

Re: Read tab delimited and write records

Hi, I've posted a solution on handling csv files for those intereseted.

This is a complete solution meaning it handles commas inside of fields.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Cookbook/read-csv-file-and-write-to-destination/m-p/258524

13 REPLIES 13
ahall
Level: Powered On

This is fantastic. I have been searching for a long time for a way of doing this, it seems crazy to me that there isn't a canned way of doing this. Microsoft even told me it is not possible to enter data into a table or database unless it was already in a table. I added one step to deal with empty last rows in my csv files.

The string expression is just string('')

condition.JPG

juresti
Level 8

Hello,

I'm glad this is helping users.

I was also having a hard time with it.

Thanks to those links I found I was able to fill in the remaining pieces to document the complete steps.

I will also post how to update a destination database or table from a tab delimited / CSV which is very similar to this one.

juresti
Level 8

Re: Read tab delimited and write records

Hi, I've posted a solution on handling csv files for those intereseted.

This is a complete solution meaning it handles commas inside of fields.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Cookbook/read-csv-file-and-write-to-destination/m-p/258524

haylsx86
Level: Power Up

Will this work with a file that's in a Sharepoint folder?
Struggling to get from step 1 to step 2 with "Get file content from path" 

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 9.33.25 pm.png

juresti
Level 8

Hello, I did not realize sharepoint returns the content as "encrypted".

What you need to do is first get the file content of the csv, then create a file with the content as .txt

In the third step you open the txt content with sharepoint get file content, then you will see the actual content.

(You should create a blank .txt file with the name you like so it will exist for the flow creation.)

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Highlighted
AnotherRedbeard

@juresti thank you so much for posting this...it was exactly what I was trying to do with CDS!

AnotherRedbeard

hi @ahall ,

I was doing the same thing and found that the condition inside the 'Apply to each' was really killing performance, so I filtered out the empty row(s) using an Array Filter prior to the loop so I could remove the condition.  

FilterArray.png

The condition inside the function is:

empty(item()) 'is not equal to' true
sfranchini
Level: Power Up

When I go to Choose and Action I do not see Tab Character as an option.   Thoughts?

ahall

you look for variable, set variable as the action. Then you can rename it to Tab Character for ease of reading. the actual variable name is tabChar. you could use whatever you want, just change it where needed when you actually use the variable. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 310 members 6,036 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: