cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EMIL_K_DIT

Get Power BI data and send in chat

Hey everyone, 

We have a nice dashboard in Power BI. I'd like to create a bot you where you can ask "Sales last month", and then it reports the "Sales last month" from the Power BI it's hooked up to. 

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around if this is even possible? Any alternatives? 

7 REPLIES 7
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @EMIL_K_DIT,

Just to clarify your requirement.

Is it sufficient to send a link of the Power BI report or do you want to include a chart in the chat window of the chat bot?

Hi @Expiscornovus thanks for taking the time to answer. If it's possible I'd like to include a graph, but a simple "Count" of something would be nice. Any content from the Power BI dashboard actually. 

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @EMIL_K_DIT,

One approach could be to use a flow to export the reports as an png and show it via markdown. But as far as I am aware that does require a pro licence. I don't know if you are allowed to use that feature in your Power BI workspace/environment?

Below is an example of such an approach.

Bot setup

mylastmonthsalesreport.png

Flow setup

potentialapproach.png

@Expiscornovus thats a Power BI pro license right? 

We do have that 😉 This is awesome! Thanks gonna go ahead and test. 

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @EMIL_K_DIT,

Yes, I was talking about the Power BI pro license 🙂

Alright I’ve tried for 4+ hours now and it seems I’m not getting closer. 

if you have the time would you mind sharing what you have under each specific flow in Power Automate? Compared to your skills in there I seem embarrassingly poor at it.

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

1. Initialize variable. Using that later for the markdown image link.

onedriveurl.png

2. This is part of the setup of the Export To File action. In this one you can configure a lot. And like mentioned earlier this action also depends on configuration and licensing on the Power BI side of things.

exporttofile_powerbi.png

3. Create file action. This creates a file on OneDrive with the File Content of the previous action.

createfile_powerbi.png

4. Returning the link of the created OneDrive file in markdown format to the agent. I am using expression where I concatenate the OneDrive variable with the Name of the Create file action.

Which should be valid url for the chatbot to embed it as an image. I wrap it in a Image markdown tag ![Image](linktoimage)

concat(variables('OneDriveUrl'), outputs('Create_file')?['body/Name'])

concat_onedrivefile.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Center-of-Excellence-Starter-Kit-cropped 768x460.png

The Total Economic Impact™ of Power Virtual Agents

Read this 2021 commissioned study, conducted by Forrester Consulting.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,444)