cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Bot Variable to be set in another topic?

I have a global variable called postcode that I have set in one topic.

In another topic I wish to ask for a postcode, I was hoping to reuse the global variable again so that regardless of topic when I set a users postcode then we will have the postcode set for the duration of their session with the bot.

Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Hi @AdamHunt ,

Today, you just can reuse the global variable but you can't update that.

A bot variable's name must be unique across all topics. In the case of a conflict, you'll need to rename the variable before saving your change.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-virtual-agents/authoring-variables-bot#set-bot-variables

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thanks!

Renato Romão,

Connect with me here 😉

Power Virtual Agents course (+2.300 students | PROMOTIONS) : English | Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @AdamHunt ,

Today, you just can reuse the global variable but you can't update that.

A bot variable's name must be unique across all topics. In the case of a conflict, you'll need to rename the variable before saving your change.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-virtual-agents/authoring-variables-bot#set-bot-variables

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thanks!

Renato Romão,

Connect with me here 😉

Power Virtual Agents course (+2.300 students | PROMOTIONS) : English | Português

View solution in original post

Thanks for confirming that for me, from a user experience its quite unhelpful as we end up asking the same question in different topics potentially.

Better to think of them as global, immutable, constants. The content or value is not variable.

I agree, it's a miss - leads to all sorts of logic gymnastics and duplication of topics to work around it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Virtual Agents Community Super Users!

Congratulations to our Season 1 2021 Super User Crew!

PVA Commnity Blog

NEW Power Virtual Agents Community Blog

View articles posted by fellow community members on the Power Virtual Agents Community Blog!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (75,885)