cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Constant authentication issue with O365

I have setup a number of Flows that users O365 application (SharePoint, OWA, Dynamics), after a few days, Flows stop working due to authentication error (Error 401) and I need to re-connect the steps. This issue has happened a few times. Is this a known problem? Any workaround?

17 REPLIES 17
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please take a look at the connections created under Microsoft Flow:

Manage connections in Microsoft Flow

Make sure the connections are all good.

Besides, there is thread talking about error 401 with tweet, see:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Forum/Post-a-tweet-failing-with-a-401-Unauthorized-error-message/td-p/7712

And connections built under office 365 on my side works good till now, could you please share more details regarding the error message, and the Flow configuration?

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-micsh-msft.

I am waiting to reproduce the issue and paste it here. The issue is different from your referenced forums post and I believe it is to do with Office365 2FA. 2FA is enabled on all Our o365 accounts. It seems like every now and then the access token is revoked and Flow must get re-authorised.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue happened again acroos *all* Flows that are connected to our Office365 account. See the screenshot below

flow_auth_error.PNG

And here is the error message body JSON response:

{
  "status": 401,
  "message": "{\"error_description\":\"Invalid JWT token. The token is expired.\"}",
  "source": "https://XYZ.sharepoint.com/sites/Consulting ...",
  "errors": []
}

For me this looks like a authentication problem with Office365 2FA. I think the JWT token expires every 14 days or so and require re-authentication.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any workaround for this issue? this is beining happening again on all O365 Flow connections.

Hi @Anonymous,

Apologize for the late response.

For the connections, is it available for you to update the Connection information through Microsoft Flow gear button->Connections to update the authentication information for the problematic connection?

76.PNG

Please check the Update Connection part in the following article:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/add-manage-connections/

In addition, I will forward this and if there is any helpful information on this, I will post back.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes and that is what I've been doing. every now and then the token expiers, so the Flow stops and I should update the connection. Here is the error message for O365 services (Outlook, CRM, ...).

"Failed to refresh access token for service: office365certificate. Correlation Id=83ad79e3-f50c-4766-aaaa-770f0e0f1b81, UTC TimeStamp = 2/5/2017 5:35:06 AM, Error: Failed to acquire token from AAD: AADSTS50076: Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new location, you must use multi-factor authentication to access '00000002-0000-0ff1-ce00-000000000000'. Trace ID: ac065f8c-8d54-402c-a20f-952fb4618aaf Correlation ID: c907c75f-e1a3-4069-9e12-f6afae6745f4 Timestamp: 2017-02-05 05:35:04Z "

Same probleme here. Happens after 2FA-expiry.

This is very annoying, because one doesn't get a notification about a broken connection.

Best solution would be to circumvent 2FA after a successfull connection....

Mycosoft
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am getting similar failures. I am running around 8 flows that use the same sharepoint connection and randomly some are succeding and some are failing with the get items: error_description":"Invalid JWT token. The token is expired.

Have you tried creating an App password for the Flow?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it doesn't let me to login using app password. Auth happens through MS SSO and it doesn't allow app passwords.

This error is popping up in a lot of blogs/forums.

It looks like if MFA is enabled then all accounts used to connect to SharePoint/Office365 services get locked out after the session timeout period. What happened to having a 'service account' for the services so this kind of thing doesn't happen?!

"Invalid JWT token. The token is expired"

Giving this post another boost, because this is only thread I can find on the topic. I have 2FA enabled, remembering re-authenticating every 14 days makes my app too unreliable. Also having this issue in Power BI.

Any solution to keep this connections permentely active until I change my password? Without turning off 2FA.

Having this as an issue too with a weird variant. I've got a user that can get on in the web app and on his phone (post enabling MFA) but now his Outlook 2016 application in Windows 10 won't sync. Tried uninstalling and starting over and it won't even let us add the account there now and tell them "Something went wrong".

I can see in Azure AD that the attempt is referencing error 50076.

Dogbyte
Frequent Visitor

I have this issue as well, didnt know my flows were failing, until I looked and saw the failed connections. 

Is this meant to be used in production environments? I cant have flows all over the place that i have to "touch" every 14 days. That is not sustainable and dependable. What is the best practice used here? create a separate user account that have multi factor auth enabled? or setup another type of authentication between the app and the environment? 

My team and I are also encountering this issue frequently today after not having seen it at all before. Our organization does not currently utilize 2FA/MFA for anything related to these accounts or other Microsoft products.

Yulia
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. Need to reconnect every week due to 2FA.

Even worth that each connector needs to be reconnected separately at different time. As a workaround it would be great if you can go and reconnect to all connectors at once, and if you can do it before the expiry date. So, at least we can maintain connections manually.

I'm wondering what will happen to the running flows if in the middle of the running flow it gets disconected?

For example, user starts an approval flow, it successfully trigered and sent to the approver, then the approver doesn't approve it  within a week, meanwhile flow connections expire. What happens with the running flow? Does it fail? I guess by default it will not send any notifications about the issue.As result, nor the user requested approval, nor the approver know that connections are expired and the flow faild. This makes Flow very unreliable. 

Please address this issue asap.

helsby
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same here with the Microsoft MFA account set up. The annoying thing is I don't even get notified that the authentication has failed until the weekly email comes through.

Using an app password does not work as the SSO detects that the browser supports MFA and therefore refuses to connect with an app password.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (9,431)