cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KDeanGS1

Default to logged in user when sharing a flow

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, this isn't possible, but I am going to ask anyway.

I have a flow with the following connections:

• SharePoint
  • Excel Online (Business)
  • Office 365 Outlook

I need to share the flow with a number of users. Each and every one of those users has access to all the resources required to run the flow (with the caveat below), and I would prefer that they do so with their credentials rather than mine or those of a shared account.

Is there any way to configure the connections so that they use the credentials of the user running the flow? This is a security issue, for two reasons.

First, if a user is removed from the SharePoint site, the flow should fail for that user without the SharePoint site administrator having to know that the flow even exists.

Second, the flow, which is essentially a mail merge, has two modes, "draft" and "final". In draft mode, I want the emails to be sent from and to the user's own mailbox so that they can validate the content and format before the final emails go out. In final mode, I want the emails to be sent from a shared mailbox. I need separation between those that can send themselves draft emails (the marketing grunt whose job it is to compose and format the email text) and those that can send outside users final emails (the marketing overlord whose head will be served on platter if there is anything that upsets a user). The way things stand right now, everyone has the right to run the flow in final mode (putting the grunt at the same level as the overlord), but if I had user-specific connections, the flow would work in draft mode for everyone and in final mode only for those users who have access to the shared mailbox.

Please tell me this is possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@KDeanGS1 

The only way to meet your requirement using only Flow is to send each of your users a copy of the Flow.  They would then import the Flow and provide their own credentials.

image.png

For reasons that I can't explain, if your Flow is initiated by a Power App, then the users credentials will Flow through.  So, depending on your situation, you might create a Power App with which the user will interact and kick off the Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@KDeanGS1 

The only way to meet your requirement using only Flow is to send each of your users a copy of the Flow.  They would then import the Flow and provide their own credentials.

image.png

For reasons that I can't explain, if your Flow is initiated by a Power App, then the users credentials will Flow through.  So, depending on your situation, you might create a Power App with which the user will interact and kick off the Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for answering.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,768)