Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jsalaz1989
Advocate II
Advocate II

Need flow to use one connection or another

Hi,

Can the same flow use two different connections "dynamically"? Perhaps with solutions? 

I have to run two identical flows, their only difference being the file system connection they use (I can't use the same connection for both). I want to avoid duplicating the flow and having to maintain two identical flows. I thought that I could solve this by using solutions. For example:

• In solution A I create flow A and link it to connection A
  • In solution B I add flow A and connection B
  • In solution C I add flow A (again) and connection C.

If I change flow A, I see it reflected among all solutions - great!

However, flow A is tied to connection A. Is there a way to link flow A in solution B to connection B while flow A in solution C is connected to connection C?

I thought about importing or cloning solutions, since during import you are prompted to choosee the original connection or set up a different one. So I guess that by importing solution A into solution B and C, I can then choose their respective connections. However, I believe importing/cloning is a copy operation and does not create a reference to the original? Therefore, I would either still have to maintain multiple versions? Or worse, keep reimporting A into B and C, each time essentially destroying B and C temporarily.

Another option is to have forks in the main flow to use one connection or the other (if conditions or switch cases) but that seems clunky and not too scalable. And I would still have to maintain the identical parallel branches of the forks which only vary in the connection they use.

In other words, if connections could be passed around to flows like parameters, that would solve my problem. Is there some way to mimic this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Jsalaz1989 there is no way to pass connections dynamically like parameters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Jsalaz1989 there is no way to pass connections dynamically like parameters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,102)