cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farhandsome
Helper IV
Helper IV

Sharepoint to Excel Flow Fails (File Being Locked)

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been addressed - 

I have a relatively simple question. I have several flows that extract data from several PowerApps and places them into one Excel OneDrive for Business sheet. It runs fine unless I have the Excel sheet open on my PC. Then, all flows fail and I get an error code that the file is locked. (Pic attached).

MES File Lock Error.PNG

Is there any way to not have the file locked to me when it's open? I'd like to keep a close monitor on the Excel sheet as it is being updated. 

Thanks,

Farhan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @farhandsome ,

If you have already opened the specified file, in order to prevent conflicts, the file will be locked, and the related actions in MS Flow cannot be successfully executed. This is a known limitation.

Perhaps you could consider using the following method as an alternative to monitoring changes in the data in the Excel table.

Add the Create item action below the Insert row action, and insert the corresponding data into the SharePoint List each time MS Flow insert a row of data into the Excel table.

This way you only need to refresh the List and monitor the changes in the data in the Excel table by observing the changes in the List item.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Gristy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Not that i have found !.

In my case i had to put a few more actions in to wait and try again if the step failed with increasing length, hoping the user closed the file.

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @farhandsome ,

If you have already opened the specified file, in order to prevent conflicts, the file will be locked, and the related actions in MS Flow cannot be successfully executed. This is a known limitation.

Perhaps you could consider using the following method as an alternative to monitoring changes in the data in the Excel table.

Add the Create item action below the Insert row action, and insert the corresponding data into the SharePoint List each time MS Flow insert a row of data into the Excel table.

This way you only need to refresh the List and monitor the changes in the data in the Excel table by observing the changes in the List item.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to use the “Excel Online” connector. That solves the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,427)