Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oteshatori
Level: Powered On

A Flow template has some hiccups

I'm new to Office 365 and activated the following Flow template:

Create a task in Outlook Tasks when a Planner task is assigned to me

Well and good. It works, with a wee bit of a time lag ranging one minute to ten for a task created in Planner to populate in Tasks. However, there are few hiccups:

1. When one edits the task in Planner (changing the name, adding comments or an attachment) it does not populate the change/update in the task in Task.

2. The due date in the Planner task (ex: June 21st) shows up as being a day earlier in Task (i.e. June 20th).

3. When a Planner task is deleted, it does not translate over to the task in Task.

Anyone have an idea to fix any of the above?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: A Flow template has some hiccups

1) Its creating a duplicate of the Planner task, it is not linking to the original.  When that template was created linking a task between planner and your personal Outlook task list wasn't possible.  I'm pretty sure it is now, so that Template is becoming obsolete.

2) I've seen this before and it relates to the way that Flow handles local time vs. UTC time.  I thought it was a bug that they fixed, but maybe not.

3) See #1.  Its not a linked task.  Its just a copy.  This is the expected behavior

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Oteshatori ,

The Flow template you are using is triggered by “When a task is assigned to me”. Only when a task assigned to you, the flow will be triggered.

About #1, if you want to trigger the flow when a Planner task is modified/updated, I am afraid that it is not possible currently.

The available Planner trigger are “When a task is assigned to me”, “When a task is completed”, “When a new task is created”. If you need to trigger the flow On update, please vote and comment the following idea at here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Planner-Triggers/idi-p/256929

About #2, it is a Time zone issue, you may need to convert the time zone to your local time zone using action Convert time zone.

About #3, you may need a On delete trigger to achieve your scenario, here is one of the similar requests on Flow Ideas Forum, please vote it at here as well:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Planner-Trigger-Task-Deleted/idi-p/57511

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

1) Its creating a duplicate of the Planner task, it is not linking to the original.  When that template was created linking a task between planner and your personal Outlook task list wasn't possible.  I'm pretty sure it is now, so that Template is becoming obsolete.

2) I've seen this before and it relates to the way that Flow handles local time vs. UTC time.  I thought it was a bug that they fixed, but maybe not.

3) See #1.  Its not a linked task.  Its just a copy.  This is the expected behavior

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Super User
Super User

@Oteshatori Hi there.

@Pstork1 is correct on all points, and I was going to try to build a workaround, but there isn't a trigger for an Updated Task in Planner to kick that process off.  Unless you were just looking to update the Outlook Task once the Planner task was complete.

Most of the Flows will work the same way: "When something happens over here, do something else over there"...not necessarily creating a connection between the two "things", unless you build one in.  Most of the time, that can be done, and there might even be a way to do this...but it might be fun to build some other ones and then come back to Updating Tasks later.  

As far as the time, it is definitely a UTC thing.  All of the things involved are using UTC in the actual data, but the Planner front-end is translating that to your local time.  You can add in some math to correct for that in your flow, or there is a function to add called "Convert Time Zone".  Here's a cool article on working with dates.

Hope that helps.  Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Oteshatori ,

The Flow template you are using is triggered by “When a task is assigned to me”. Only when a task assigned to you, the flow will be triggered.

About #1, if you want to trigger the flow when a Planner task is modified/updated, I am afraid that it is not possible currently.

The available Planner trigger are “When a task is assigned to me”, “When a task is completed”, “When a new task is created”. If you need to trigger the flow On update, please vote and comment the following idea at here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Planner-Triggers/idi-p/256929

About #2, it is a Time zone issue, you may need to convert the time zone to your local time zone using action Convert time zone.

About #3, you may need a On delete trigger to achieve your scenario, here is one of the similar requests on Flow Ideas Forum, please vote it at here as well:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Planner-Trigger-Task-Deleted/idi-p/57511

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,887)