Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jslsmithyx
Helper II
Helper II

Adding Multiple Checklist items to Planner

Hi guys, 

I've recently noticed that Microsoft have added the ability to create checklist items on Planner with Flow... I'm just looking for some guidance / documentation on how this works? I think its a fairly recent addition, so cannot find anything online thus far: 

jslsmithyx_1-1612261784051.png

I have a SharePoint multi line column. The items I would like creating into a checklist are stored here, each separated by a ';' (checklistitem1;checklistitem2;checklistitem3;). I would like to create a checklist item for each item after the ;

I imagine this will be done with some sort of array, as I have used a similar technique to attach multiple list attachments onto an email however I'm not sure how to tweak that to suit the checklist solution

Any help on the solution would be appreciated, thank you! 

Joe 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @jslsmithyx 

In my understanding, you want to create a checklist item for each item after the “;” for only one cell in a sharepoint multi line column.

For example, the cell is as below:

2.3-8.PNG

I’ve created a flow to meet your need.

I’ve used split() and item() function.

For more info about split(), please go to the link: Reference guide for functions in expressions - Azure Logic Apps | Microsoft Docs

For more info about item(), please go to the link: Reference guide for functions in expressions - Azure Logic Apps | Microsoft Docs

The whole flow is as below:

2.3-9.PNG

The detailed steps are as below:

2.3-10.PNG

For the ‘checklists’ array variable, the “Id”, “Title”, “IsChecked” are required. Otherwise, the flow will fail.

2.3-11.PNG

2.3-12.PNG

The functions used are:

split(outputs('Get_item')?['body/ChecklistItems'],';')

item()

For the split function, ChecklistItems is an example, you should fill the column name of yours.

This is the outcome of the flow:

2.3-13.PNG

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Kira Xie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @jslsmithyx 

In my understanding, you want to create a checklist item for each item after the “;” for only one cell in a sharepoint multi line column.

For example, the cell is as below:

2.3-8.PNG

I’ve created a flow to meet your need.

I’ve used split() and item() function.

For more info about split(), please go to the link: Reference guide for functions in expressions - Azure Logic Apps | Microsoft Docs

For more info about item(), please go to the link: Reference guide for functions in expressions - Azure Logic Apps | Microsoft Docs

The whole flow is as below:

2.3-9.PNG

The detailed steps are as below:

2.3-10.PNG

For the ‘checklists’ array variable, the “Id”, “Title”, “IsChecked” are required. Otherwise, the flow will fail.

2.3-11.PNG

2.3-12.PNG

The functions used are:

split(outputs('Get_item')?['body/ChecklistItems'],';')

item()

For the split function, ChecklistItems is an example, you should fill the column name of yours.

This is the outcome of the flow:

2.3-13.PNG

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Kira Xie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll put this together & get back to you. 

Hi, 

Just trying to put your suggestion together. I have used 'Get Items' rather than 'Get Item' & when it comes to the 'Compose' operation I do not have the option to split the 'ChecklistItem' Output: 

jslsmithyx_0-1612344339723.png

Not a huge problem, as I can tweak my solution to work of 'Get Item' rather than 'Get Items' with a Filter Query - but if it can work of 'Get Items' with a filter, that would be ideal..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi @v-yiwenxie-msft 

Your solution worked perfectly - thank you. 

Hey, would this flow also work in Excel? I have the same issue where I'm storing planner tasks in an Excel table but as soon as someone adds checklist items, it creates several rows with the items

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,521)