Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChadC
Level: Powered On

Approval Comments Display Object Reference Instead of Value

Hi, 

I have a Flow using an Approval connector with custom responses. Responses include "Approve", "Approve with edits", and "Reject." If "Approve with edits" or "Reject" is chosen, then an email is generated which references the Approval comments. Until about last week, this worked fine with both options and the comments populated as expected. However, now the email is being populated with a refence to the value of "commentApprove with edits" only when "Approve with edits" is selected. The comments for the Approval when "Reject" is chosen still populate as expected.

FlowCommentIssue.PNG

I've tried removing and readding this reference in the Flow to no avail. There was no change to the structure of the flow in between when this was working properly and when it failed.

Any advice?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChadC

Re: Approval Comments Display Object Reference Instead of Value

The custom values cannot contain spaces. "Approve_With_Edits" returns comments submitted on the approval.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

ChadC

Hi Brad, 

Thank you for responding. Below are screenshots of the flow leading up to the problem step.

Flow pt 1.PNGFlow pt 2.PNG

The problem is with the left, bottom step: "Send notice of approval with edits to requester."

The [Comments] dynamic content node is producing the value of "{{commentApprove with edits.value}}." However, the rightmost step, "Send notice of rejection to requester", uses the same dynamic content node and produces the expected value.

I do not receive any error messages whatsoever. This seems to me like the dynamic content node is wrapping the programmatic reference in another set of curly braces which is then being interpreted as a string and not an object reference. 

ChadC

The custom values cannot contain spaces. "Approve_With_Edits" returns comments submitted on the approval.

HelplessMax

i have a similar problem. I created an approval with 3 options, Approve, Reject and Rückfrage (query in english)

Whenever the third options is selected in the approval email and a random comment is added, this happens: 

{{Comment-3value}} is added for anything that was typed in the comment field

Bildvorschau

This is the Flow Approval:FLOW APPROVAL.PNG

i am happy for every advice Smiley Happy

ChadC

Hi HelplessMax, 

My experience has been that Flow doesn't handle "complex" strings well. I suspect your issue is with the umlauted character. Try using a value of "Ruckfrage" instead and see if the issue reoccurs. 

Hope this helps.

HelplessMax

You are a legend! It workds finde now, the Umlaut"ü" was the the problem

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Max

ChadC

Glad it helped!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 121 members 4,556 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: