cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approval Flow is not sending email

I have an approval flow set up to email 6 people. It's an "Everyone from the assigned list" approval. I tested it a few times to make sure it was something we would like using with just 3 people listed in the assigned to field (including myself) and we had no issues. Now that I've added 3 more people to the assigned list, they're not receiving emails. I checked their junk mail and it wasn't there. I received the email and another coworker did as well, but not everyone did so I'm not sure what's going on. 

18 REPLIES 18
Dev_Nikhil
Level 8

Re: Approval Flow is not sending email

Hi @Anonymous 

can you please describe your Whole Scenario of Flow Process or can share the Pictures of the Flow i think that would be easier to Understand the Problem.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the screen shots. In the Assigned to field, I have 6 email addresses. They are appropriately listed and separated. The email requesting approval was sent out to only 3 people on the list though. The other 3 people did not get the email. I thought maybe it went to junk mail, but I checked and no one had it in junk mail either. 

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. All people listed in the Assigned to field of "Start an apprval" action are receiving approval emails. My flow's configuration as below:16.JPG

Note: Fill 4 email addresses within Assigned to field of "Start an approval" action on my side.

The flow works successfully as below:17.JPG

Please check if the people who are not received the approval email are members of your Office 365 group or organization, if they are not, they would not be received with the approval email. If you want the people to receive your approval email, please type the email addresses of people who are members of your Office 365 group or organization within Assigned to field of "Start an approval" action.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-xida-msft

Everyone in the assigned to list is in the same company. I can search by their names and it populates their email. However, they are not all in the same department as me. The few who are in the same department received the email and those who aren't didnt. Would this have something to do with some kind of permissions? 

H333x2
Level: Power Up

Did you ever find a solution here? I am running into the same results. The people that the approval is assigned to are in my organization. It works for 2/3 of the asignees. 

geommm
Level: Powered On

I'm also having same problem. I have 5 approvers and emails are randomly sent.
Highlighted
geommm

Flow cannot be considered functional if approvals don't work. I also have several emails in my approval list and I require any of the approvers to approve, but the emails are randomly sent. Sometimes to all the list and sometimes to just half of the emails on the list. This is pretty bad.

kingfu

I'll pile on here.  Same thing happens to my email recipients in my approval flow.  I have two other people in the approval.  Once I add a specific third person the flow never fires off an email for anyone.  If I take him out of the approval action again, the flow works.

geommm

The problem of random approvers is solved for me. They obviously fixed it without telling anyone. But a new problem happened these days which may be relevant. My org forced a change of password on me. Since then, my approval card fails, as it does not recognise my email address as a valid account for approval. If I delete the card and replace it with a new, identical one, it works. But the old card, placed before the password reset, does not like my email address.

I've been on the phone all afternoon with MS on this. Obviously there is no outcome. The ticket is still open. However, there is evidently some problem with the active directory connector. I suggest you delete the Approval connector and try replacing it. Otherwise there may be something fishy with that last email that is giving you problems. Try a different one.

Hope this helps

George

Dev_Nikhil
Level 8

Hi @geommm,

In the case of password change simply you have to update the new credentials into connector, Which you are using for the start an Approval Process, Update connector and you are ready to go.

You can Try something described into below URL.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/How-do-I-troubleshoot-a-simple-Flow-when...

regards,

Dev_Nikhil

geommm

Hi Nikhil

Actually I had to do this for all my connections after password change. That's not a problem.

Whereas in this case I had to delete all my approval cards and create them again. This is much more complex than one may think because to delete a card you first have to remove all the references to that card in the flow, e.g. approval response, comments, approver name, etc.

I still have an open ticket with Microsoft for this. No help whatsoever.
George

Dev_Nikhil
Level 8

Hi @geommm ,

That's what my point is you doesnot have to remove and create the card once again you just have to update the action Account by clicking on the "Elipses" menu on the right corner of the "Start an Approval" Action.

as i have described in Given link you just have to select the Newly created connector for "Start an Approval" Action and you can run the Flow. there is no any modificaions are required to be done inside the Action, or into the Details of "Start an Approval" Action.

regards,

Dev_Nikhil

kingfu

I've added a ticket in with Microsoft.  When I find out the problem, I will post it here.

geommm

here is the error I get

Dev_Nikhil
Level 8

Hi @geommm,

The photo of the Error you have shared that error specifies that the Person/User you are assigning task is might be External User, Or you cantry one more thing change the Approval Type option.

Hope this might help you.

regards,

Dev_Nikhil

kingfu

Unfortunately they resolved my ticket without much explanation.  The answer was they "fixed it on the backend." so I assume the team just patched a bug.  Sorry, that's all I got.

geommm

No @Dev_Nikhil. The person I am seeking approval from is myself, the owner of the flow.

I have clearly tried all 2 of the available options, just to see if the problem can be unblocked.

We have worked on this also with MS Support, so you can exclude all the simple explanations to the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway

G.

geommm

yep. Flow has many bugs to patch indeed.
Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,402)