cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDR
Regular Visitor

Approval From field is the one who created the flow

Hi,

I created an approval flow for a leave request and it seems that my name who created the Flow is in the From field of the email as well as in the content. My flow is also always failed when I changed the From (Send As) field. Please advise, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Some organizations have created accounts specifically for sending emails and taking other actions within a flow.

Here is a screenshot of creating a new connection:

AddConnection.png

When you click on "Add Connection", you'll be prompted for a user name and password.

Once you create and select this new connection for the send email action, the email will show as coming from the new account.

If you do not want your name to appear in the Approval email, you'll need to add another user as an owner.  Then the new owner can edit the flow and remove and re-add the connect associated with the Approval step.  I will likely be easier to just delete the Approval action and then add it back.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JDR,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Which action do you use to send the approval email? The "Start an approval" action or the "Send email with options" action?

Further, could you please show a bit more about the From (Send as) field that you mentioned?

If you use the "Start an approval" action to send an approval email, the From field of the email would be Microsoft Flow <maccount@microsoft.com> (email address: maccount@microsoft.com).

If you use the "Send an email with options" action of Office 365 Outlook connector to send an approval email, the From field of the email is based on connections. In other words, if User A create a connection to the "Send an email with options" action and sent the approval email, the From field would be User A. If User B create a connection to the "Send an email with options" action and sent the approval email, the From field would be User B.

If you want to change the From field of an approval email dynamically in Microsoft Flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I used the "Start an approval action". To be more specific, when an item has been approved, it shows my email not from Microsoft Flow, it does show the Microsoft's email at first. That's why I tried to change the From (send as) field in the "Send Email action" and used the approver's email or manager but I got this error.

"You are not authorized to send mail on behalf of the specified sending account. clientRequestId: 1635c2b3-2481-4d55-82c5-3edc5f921154 serviceRequestId: a67c6f68-2bb3-4314-b5d2-e3cd5c6c0132"

Another thing is, in the intial email for approving, where you can see Approve and Reject, my name is indicated in the content as from not the one who is asking for a leave request. And once approved, it is my name who is in the from field. Sorry I cannot send an image, I have nothing to upload on to.

JDR
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Sorry, the photos icon just work, this is the image that might support this issue. That is the content part.

FromContentinMail.jpg

In order to send an email as or on behalf of someone else, that person must delegate those permissions to you.  I believe that is why you see the "not authorized" error.

The only way to have the "post approval" email show as coming from someone other than you is for you to have permissions to send as or on behalf of that individual or to create and use another connection (another user) that is used for sending the email.

Creating another connection will require you to have the users user name and password.

Scott

Hi.

I can please discuss further on how to use another connection? Will this be fixed if I gave them permission to my flow? Is that what you meant?

How about my name that appears in the content? Is it just the same?

Some organizations have created accounts specifically for sending emails and taking other actions within a flow.

Here is a screenshot of creating a new connection:

AddConnection.png

When you click on "Add Connection", you'll be prompted for a user name and password.

Once you create and select this new connection for the send email action, the email will show as coming from the new account.

If you do not want your name to appear in the Approval email, you'll need to add another user as an owner.  Then the new owner can edit the flow and remove and re-add the connect associated with the Approval step.  I will likely be easier to just delete the Approval action and then add it back.

Scott

View solution in original post

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help. Will this also help remove/change my name in the content?

Regards,

Jen

mbhushan
Helper II
Helper II

All,

There is another solution to resolve this issue. Refer below URL where you get the solution to send the approval emails using common email id.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/MS-Flow-uses-my-account-info-to-sent-Approval...

Regards

Bhushan

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,420)