cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Approval buttons on email redirect to sharepoint page

I have a flow that requests someone's approval for an item in a sharepoint list. Approvers get an email with 2 button options: approve/reject. 

When I was testing this, using my own email as both approval requester, and approver - I was able to approve or reject only using the buttons on the email.

When I changed the approver's emails to the actual people who will be approving the items - the buttons redirect to the sharepoint list - with a form through which they can approve or reject.

Is there any way to make it so that they can approve/reject through the email - as I was able to do when testing?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Re: Approval buttons on email redirect to sharepoint page

@jeggv ,

How were you approving your test emails, using Outlook on your desktop or Outlook online?  A quick test shows that approvals through the desktop version of Outlook are handled within the email, and approvals through the online version redirect to the Approvals dashboard.  Can you confirm how your users are approving items, and whether it is different from how you were testing?

Ashley

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Both myself and the approvers are using the desktop version of Outlook. The process was carried out identically.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jeggv ,

Are you using the same version of the desktop client as Approver? Only clients that support actionable messages can be approved by clicking the button directly in the Approval email.

Please refer to the following link regarding the support of action cards in different mail clients:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/actionable-messages/#outlook-version-requirements-for-actio...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hello, 

Was this resolved? My organization is experiencing the same issue, but it's only happening sporadically.

The majority of the workflow runs allow a user to approve/reject straight from the email, but around one percent of the time, the Approve / Reject buttons redirect the same user to login to Automate. 

The users are running Outlook on IOS and Outlook for the web. On the workflow emails that misbehave, it redirects to login to Automate from both interfaces. 

Any thoughts on why this would be happening? I can't figure it out. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

You need to be logged in to sharepoint from your browser for the buttons to work. I also figured out that the outlook client for MAC does not support 'in-email' actions. The feature is currently in development. It worked fine for us in Windows and the web-client.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your response! Like I said, the Approve / Reject buttons DO work from the mobile Outlook for IOS 99 percent of the time. It's just a few emails that will come in that are asking the user to login to the browser. That's what I can't figure out. Is this behavior just to be expected? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (13,140)