cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create alternative UPN for users with same name

Hi,

I'm building a flow to create an account for new students triggered by a form. It creates a UPN like this: "first_name.last_name@school.com".

Suppose John Doe is a student. He has the UPN "John.Doe@school.com". 

Next, suppose a new student has the same name. He needs a unique UPN: "John.Doe2@school.com". 

In order to do this, I have Power Automate Search for users (V2) with the UPN as the search term.

Then, I Initialize a viariable, being the integer 1.

Then, a Condition should check whether the UPN already exists in the SharePoint list with students. If it doesn't, it should create the first type of UPN (i.e. "John.Doe@school.com "). If it does, it should create the alternative UPN by Incrementing the integer 1 variable (i.e. "John.Doe2@school.com "). 

This all works fine. The problem is I can't get the condition right. This is what I have as the condition:

[value] of Search for users (V2) contains [UPN]

If yes create alternative UPN

If no create standard UPN

But somehow, the condition always returns true, so it always creates the alternative UPN. And when I set the condition to "does not contain" it creates the standard UPN (obviously) but when I run the flow again to have it create the alternative UPN (since the standard UPN already exists), it simply says "UPN already exists" upon creating the account. 

NedviceArjen_0-1597402910895.png

How do I define the proper condition?

Best,

Arjen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try the following configuration:

13.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Anonymous

TRy to add the condition as :

length(outputofyoursearchaction) greater than 0

Create alternative UPN

Else

Create UPN

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try the following configuration:

13.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now, suppose I would like to create a condition, such that:

- if first_name.last_name@school.com already exists, create first_name.last_name2@school.com

- if first_name.last_name2@school.com already exists, create first_name.last_name3@school.com

- etc.

Seems doable but I'm very new to Power Automate so I'm not sure where to begin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (1,600)