cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Delay Action cancelled itself

Hi, I have a Delay action which completed its 1 minute delay. If the previous 'Start and wait for an approval' is approved, the delay works fine but if the approval is rejected, the delay cancelled itself and following actions are skipped. Can anyone help me understand why my delay action is cancelling itself?

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Delay Action cancelled itself

@ScottShearer my fault, configuration error. i had a terminate action in another leg of the flow. can you offer any advice for when terminate actions should be used?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@stujol80 

Can you post a screen shot of your Flow in edit mode?

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Untitled.jpg

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@ScottShearer my fault, configuration error. i had a terminate action in another leg of the flow. can you offer any advice for when terminate actions should be used?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@stujol80 

I use terminate actions to stop a Flow from continuing in situations where using a condition is not appropriate or will complicate the Flow needlessly.  I also use terminate actions to stop a Flow that will eventually end anyway without taking any additional actions.  For example, I do approval reminders in a parallel branch - the approval is in the first branch and the reminder is in a loop with a delay in the second branch.  When the approval is complete, I use a terminate action so the Flow ends instead of waiting for a day or more (depending on the delay) for the Flow to end.  I almost always terminate with success.  I also use terminate actions in connection with "run after" actions for error handling.

Why are you using the terminate action? 

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Terminate is only good in certain flow situations. It basically says "end the flow right now". As Scott mentioned it is good for certain "run after" situations or if you are trying to find a specific file, do an action then end the flow. I also tend to use it for troubleshooting where if I am only trying to debug the first half of a very long flow, I'll put it in to end the flow early so I don't have to wait around for it to finish the whole thing.

Regards,

Alex

-------

Community Support Team _ Alex Rezac
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (7,314)