Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dflemming
Helper I
Helper I

Document Library exceeds the list view threshold

Hi there,

I have a when new file is created trigger on a document library that has recently started failing, giving the

The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold error.
It has a few more than 5000 files but the default view is Created in Last 7 days, so I can't understand why the threshold is being exceeded. My research seemed to show that the trigger would use the default view but it doesn't seem to work. Am I handling this correctly.
Kind regards,
Dale
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Anna,

All files are in the folder, but I've have had to resolve the issue by manually removing files from the document library in order to keep our business process working.

I'm grateful for your effort in following this up but I'll have to watch this file limit and move files out and archive them manually. You can consider this resolved.

Kind regards, Dale

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
annajhaveri
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dflemming  are you sure the error occurs in the trigger, or is the error occurring in the other actions in the flow? Can you share screenshot of the flow run showing the error.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi Anna

There are only two steps in the flow. the scope has a file system create task.

dflemming_0-1621466055064.png

here is the error in the trigger.

dflemming_1-1621466112833.png

Kind regards, 

Dale

@dflemming  understood, i did try on my end by creating a flow with trigger when file is created on library which has more than 5000 documents, and it worked fine without any errors. Are you using "When a file is created (properties only)" trigger? can you share screenshot of trigger configured, i want to see the properties configured on trigger. Are you using trigger condition? Also can you just try creating new flow for same library just to see if that works or not?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer

Hi Anna, I'm not using a trigger condition and I'm using the "When a file is created" trigger (not the file properties version)

dflemming_1-1621556934695.png

I also tested a new flow with the trigger "when a file is created in a folder" but I get the same error.

Regards, Dale

@dflemming does the approved invoices folder contains more than over 5000 documents or just the library in whole has over 5000 documents?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Hi Anna,

All files are in the folder, but I've have had to resolve the issue by manually removing files from the document library in order to keep our business process working.

I'm grateful for your effort in following this up but I'll have to watch this file limit and move files out and archive them manually. You can consider this resolved.

Kind regards, Dale

Kong1

This "solution" is not acceptable to be honest.  It's a work around.  I'm facing this same issue.

annajhaveri
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Kong1  refer to this post it may help you https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/power-apps-power-automate/flow-cannot-fetch-new-changes-excee...

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Helpful resources

Announcements
Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (4,157)