cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kristof805
Helper IV
Helper IV

Don't Flow on SharePoint Item if Flow is already running for that item?

I have a SharePoint list that contains line items that we use for budgeting / approval. Sometimes people will fill out a line item but they are not ready to submit it for the approval process (draft version / don't have all the numbers / etc). To solve this problem, I added a drop down called Check for Approval to each item where the options are: Don't Submit (default), Submit, and Approved.

My Flow runs off of When an item is created or modified and then the first thing it does is checks the condition for Check for Approval. If it equals Submit, it proceeds, otherwise it stops right there.

My problem is that if somebody creates a new item and selects Submit, then subsequently changes that item, still with Submit, a second Flow will trigger, which makes sense. The newest version will have to be approved. However, the first Flow that was triggered is now kind of useless.

Is there an easy way to solve this problem of only having one Flow running on an item? Put another way, can you cancel a Flow on an item if another Flow triggers on the same item?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kristof805,

There is no any way you could cancel a Flow on an item if another Flow triggers on the same item in microsoft flow currently,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kristof805,

There is no any way you could cancel a Flow on an item if another Flow triggers on the same item in microsoft flow currently,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

dangthis
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is kind of obnoxious, but you could create a file, maybe a spreadsheet that would track all your flows in this type of scenario, creating 3 columns - id, description, on/off.  You would then have to build logic in your flow to get the row data for this flow based on a hard coded id, use a condition to assess if already running, update the row when going to run, and then update the row again once run complete. It might be helpful to additionally create a loop that checks for a set interval of time as far as the file being modified once flow triggered. 

If you do build it. It would be recommended to save it before further actions are needed so it could be used as a template for future flows it may be used with.

I was looking for the same answer and hoping I would not have to build such a flow, but if I do, I will report back with better articulated information. I would love for someone to chime in with a better way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (2,518)