cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CTASS
Frequent Visitor

Emails not sending - something about a string?

Hi, I have a problem with some email flows.  I'm sending an email based off conditions in a excel workbook. I know that the conditions part is working, bc when I test the flows by putting my own email into the "to" box, I get all the expected emails. However, when I switch it back to the intended receivers, which are pulled from the spreadsheet by inserting the dynamic content email column, I get the following error: 

The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Send_an_email_(V2)' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: Input parameter 'emailMessage/To' is required to be of type 'String/email'. The runtime value '"#REF!"' to be converted doesn't have the expected format 'string/email'.

I had to do a vlookup to get the emails into my spreadsheet, and the formula I used to do it was this:

=HYPERLINK("mailto",VLOOKUP(H9,Macrohome.xlsm!OFFICEEMAILS[#Data],2,FALSE))

Here is my flow:

CTASS_0-1652286033449.png

I'd appreciate any suggestions you can offer. I'm not savvy - just googling for how to do things. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi there, 

My guess is that it's confused because it's a formula. If you just put the "EMAIL" output into a Compose action, and run the flow, what does it look like?

We may be able to get around this by just making it an expression - in  your To line, clear the field, then click the expression tab, and type string() then between the (), click, and add Dynamic Content --> Email (from Excel). 

If it comes across actually looking like a formula, then we'll need to try something else.

R

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi there, 

My guess is that it's confused because it's a formula. If you just put the "EMAIL" output into a Compose action, and run the flow, what does it look like?

We may be able to get around this by just making it an expression - in  your To line, clear the field, then click the expression tab, and type string() then between the (), click, and add Dynamic Content --> Email (from Excel). 

If it comes across actually looking like a formula, then we'll need to try something else.

R

CTASS
Frequent Visitor

Your suggestion for the compose action worked! I added a compose before the email step with the email dynamic content then chose "output" in the "To:" line of the email. 

The string expression idea didn't work. For some reason the email column did not show up in the dynamic content choices once I had entered string into the expressions box. Only "body" and "value" were there. 

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (4,392)