cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel tables keep changing in Flow UPDATE and GET row Steps

Hi guys,

I'm having a very weird error that keeps recurring. I have several flows setup that GET and UPDATE rows in several tables within the same XLSX workbook when Forms are submitted. However, I have noticed that Flows, seemingly of their own accord, begin failing. When I view the failed run, the reference tables I have stipulated in the Flow has completely changed to a different table in the same file. Each Flow consistently changes the table from the one I've specified to the same incorrect one. The XLSX is editable and is accessed frequently via Excel Desktop and Online as it contains recruitment data that we run mail merges from and sometimes needs editing.

This is incredibly annoying, and has resulted in corrupt data in some cases due to similar field names causing a Flow to successfully update the wrong table. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stevewiddowson ,

As far as I know, the actions contained in MS Flow do not actively change the records in other unconfigured tables.

The configured Flow will only execute and complete data operations according to the configured parameters and conditions.

And when configuring the action in the Excel connector, we must select the Excel file and table that have been defined. These parameters cannot be dynamically configured, so the table is fixed.

Please share your Flow configuration with us, we could try to reproduce similar issues in order to find the cause of the error.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I think I worked out what was causing the problem in my case. My flow was updating rows in multiple tables in a single workbook - once I split each table out into a separate workbook I have not had the problem recur. Terrible solution to a really annoying bug, but it worked for me. Not sure of your exact setup, but if you have anything similar to that, try splitting tables into separate workbooks and running the flows again.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stevewiddowson ,

As far as I know, the actions contained in MS Flow do not actively change the records in other unconfigured tables.

The configured Flow will only execute and complete data operations according to the configured parameters and conditions.

And when configuring the action in the Excel connector, we must select the Excel file and table that have been defined. These parameters cannot be dynamically configured, so the table is fixed.

Please share your Flow configuration with us, we could try to reproduce similar issues in order to find the cause of the error.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm having a similar issue.  The table name is not fixed it is changing by itself between runs. 

I set a table name as "Table1", ran my flow once and it worked as expected. 

When I tried to run my flow again I received the following error. 
No table was found with the name '{E5853258-8B64-4462-AB0C-A3E20225A269}'.
clientRequestId: 138b4399-c238-45e4-ad81-392966f40e92
serviceRequestId: 41586a4c-0adc-4e59-b650-60373138f895

I think I worked out what was causing the problem in my case. My flow was updating rows in multiple tables in a single workbook - once I split each table out into a separate workbook I have not had the problem recur. Terrible solution to a really annoying bug, but it worked for me. Not sure of your exact setup, but if you have anything similar to that, try splitting tables into separate workbooks and running the flows again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (2,889)