cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjefferson

Executing flow from a button in a read only sharepoint list acting as a service catalogue

I am building a service catalogue (for the avoidance of ambiguity, a list of services offered by an internal team with a service description and the option to request this service as an internal servcie consumer) within our 365 environment. I am primarily using sharepoint as the data repository, with document libraries as linked further information and a sharepoint list to provde the actual catalogue entries. 

The design I have ended up with is a list which each offered service being a list item. I have added a column with a "Request this Service" button which launches flow to create a combination of service catalog line data and user input as a planner task in the service team kanban. The flow then goes on to create an item in another list that shows the current user facing state of the service team tasks. A column with the plannerid is populated on creation to allow linking these in future flows.

Another flow triggers on planner task completion and loops through each task list item in SP to find the matching plannerID value and adjust the status column to complete. A final flow runs on a 5 minute schedule that loops through each non complete SP list item and then each task in the planner and adjusts sp list values for title, start and end dates and state based on the bucket the task is in to give near real time updates to users.

This was to get around what I believe to be the not possible use case of publishing the planner board to read only users (service requestors) for viewing, it also gives us a filter for what we show to users while keeping all service team tasks in planner.

My issue is that I believe from this related forum post that it is not possible to execute flow from a list where the users only have read permissions: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Using-Flows/Sharepoint-permissions-required-for-Flow-to-Show-in-...

I would like visitors to have read only rights on the service catalog list (I can solve all privilege issues with the other list and planner with stored connections on the run as user config when I assign the sharepoint list as a run as user), but it seems no combination of read only user assignment in flow allows this to happen.

Is this correct? If so, are there plans to make it possible to execute flow as a read only list user, or am I approaching this incorrectly (hence the detail above of the full solution). I have applied a reasonable work around of promoting visitors to contribute for the service catalog list and enabling approval to prevent errant users form adjusting public content, at the risk of increasing admin for list moderators.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sjefferson,

Yes, as you said, it is not possible to execute flow from a list where the users only have read permissions, so if you could only assign read only permission to the user, the user couldn't execute the flow.

And I afraid that there is no any alternative way to achieve your needs.

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sjefferson,

Yes, as you said, it is not possible to execute flow from a list where the users only have read permissions, so if you could only assign read only permission to the user, the user couldn't execute the flow.

And I afraid that there is no any alternative way to achieve your needs.

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,201)