Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Priya216
Helper II
Helper II

Flow Owner name appears on approvals and SharePoint list

Hello

I am new to the power automate world and learning as I am tasked with new processes to implement.

I have completed a few approval flows and I have noticed as I am the flow owner and the connections to sharepoint, email and approvals is with my account. My name appears on the top of all approval emails and because the flow is updating or creating a list my name will appear in the created by or modified by column but its not me who created the item, it was someone else and there name should remain for audit purpose but why does it change to my account. 

How can I rectify both issues in one go. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Priya 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Priya216 

I agree with @jaxkookie  but would like to add the following:

1. Make sure versioning is turned on for the list
  2. Add a multiline text column and check the "append text" setting.
    1. This will allow you to easily store multiple entries from multiple approvals
    2. Uncheck the setting to add to the default view
    3. Set the column to hidden - you need to set "Allow management of content types" to on and then click on the content  type. and select hidden.
    4. Once you make it hidden, set allow management of content types to off

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@Priya216 

The only way to have another name appear at the top of the email would be to use a different account - usually referred to as a service account - for the Approval Flows.  This will require you to use a license.  Most service accounts have generic names like "Power Automate Service" or something like that.  A service account is generally used only for a specific purpose - such as approvals.

Please not that if take a look at the Approval action Advanced options you see a place to enter "Requestor".   That info will show in the email.

Using a service account would also get your name off of the SharePoint item but it won't get the name of the person who you want.  No way to do that unless the Flow is associated with a Power App.  I suggest adding a column to the list and populating it with the name you want - that can be used for audit purposes.  You might even make it a hidden column.

Scott

To add to Scott's reply. Even after the flow is built you can update your connects to the service account. This is also useful in preventing the "Infinite Loop" because you can do a check of the (Modified by nq Service account). 

I have also added an additional field to capture the original modified by, and update the new field. Just for a historical value and tracking later.

@jaxkookie 

You are correct!  That said, I didn't include that in my response as I have never had success adding/changing the connection for an approval action.

Scott

Hello @jaxkookie 

You mention an additional field to capture the original modified by and update the new field, Where exactly is this ?

Thanks

Priya

you would need to create this field. It would be an editable field. I might turn on content types, and hide or remove this field from the content type. I would recommend not adding it to any public views unless it is grouped by. If the general population cant see it, they cant edit it. Again, this is more for historical tracking, and maybe troubleshooting. The information is available in the version history.

@Priya216 

I agree with @jaxkookie  but would like to add the following:

1. Make sure versioning is turned on for the list
  2. Add a multiline text column and check the "append text" setting.
    1. This will allow you to easily store multiple entries from multiple approvals
    2. Uncheck the setting to add to the default view
    3. Set the column to hidden - you need to set "Allow management of content types" to on and then click on the content  type. and select hidden.
    4. Once you make it hidden, set allow management of content types to off

Scott

View solution in original post

How do I create a service account ?

I have several workflows now since I created this thread and troubleshooting any queries it all ends up with me as my name is on the "requested by" approval. I am aware of the Requestor by field in the approval action as I thought that will help, But the flow failed as the an error appeared about the assignee name was not recognised but when the requestor field was blank the flow was saved successfully.

I don't understand how can I use this Requested By field in the approval action if it keeps breaking the power flow ?

Any ideas ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (2,202)