cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Flow/SharePoint - File Already Exists?

I've created a flow which generates a PDF document and I'm using the Create File SharePoint connector.

If a file already exists in the SharePoint document library with the same file name as the one I'm trying to create, then Flow is returning an error as below.

hiccup_1-1596465620869.png

I have made many flows like this in the past and I've never had this issue before.

Previously, when I have made flows like this, Flow would automatically create a new version of the file with the same file name and wouldn't return an error.

I don't understand why I could do this before, but now it's changed and I can't overwrite the file?

It's also worth noting that my flows I'd created previously are still working fine and overwriting the files as intended - it's just my new flow that I've made today that is returning the error. 🤔

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Flow/SharePoint - File Already Exists?

Hi @hiccup 

Interesting scenario, I will try to reproduce the same when once I have a spare time and let you know the outcome.

If I find info about it I will also let you know.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing the same issue. For the option "If a file already exists", I tried both "Replace" and "Copy with a new name":

thomas_schick_0-1597159914744.png

The action still returns a "file already exists" error.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @hiccup and @thomas_schick 

I might have missed the last entry on the thread, are you guys still facing the same issue?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm facing the same issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue. Throws file already exists error for new flows, but old ones still works. Please let me know if this has been changed.

Thanks,

Nowshad

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi

I have the same issue, previous flows overwrite, but new flows give the error.

The SharePoint library settings have not changed, version control is on etc

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same situation on here too. I was very frustrated on this scenario, hope Microsoft have a way to solve this issue as soon as possible.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi all, I managed to to temporarily get past this by doing the following:

• Add a parallel branch after the 'Create File' step. One branch will run if Create File runs successfully (i.e. a new file is created) and the second branch will run if it has failed (i.e. getting file already exists error).
  • In the parallel branch add a 'Get Files (properties only)' step, connect to your SharePoint site and add a Filter query to retrieve the file you're trying to amend.
  • Change the 'configure run after' on the 'Get Files' step to 'On Failed'.
  • Then add an 'Update File' step underneath and put the contents of the file into there (this will likely auto-update to an Apply to Each but that's fine since I'm only ever retrieving 1 file).

The images below should explain in further detail:

Capture_LI_Moment_Moment.jpgCapture1_LI_Moment_Moment.jpg

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi

I found a solution to this that means you don't have to put in conditions\scopes on whether the file is already there

Not sure if this a recommended long term best practice, but it works.

I also had old flows that did overwrite the file in SharePoint, but as above new 'Create file' does not allow it.

So I looked at one of the Microsoft Automate templates 'Copy new files from PC to SharePoint' 

I copied to clipboard the 'Create file' action from that template into the flow I was having problems with, cleared existing fields in it action and replaced them with my own and it worked, it overwrote the files.
I suspect you could also copy from an old flow that worked in the same way.

So from this I gather when Microsoft make changes to these actions they make it so it only applies if you are adding the 'action' from new. So if it worked on an older flow, then copy that action from the older flow and you should have the old situation.

Not sure if this issue is a bug on new action or intentional from Microsoft.

Give a thumbs up if this works for you, as it cost me a lot of time trying to get a workaround in place when the solution , in the end , was very simple and hidden in plain sight!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Users online (7,054)