cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j0s03w8

Flow between flagged messages in Outlook to create task in Planner creating duplicate tasks

Hello, I am totally new to flow but I am using a flow that creates a task in Planner when I flag a message and put in a specific folder. The problem is that my tasks get duplicated multiple times - I see in the community how to fix in other platforms but not this specifically. I used the template "Create planner tasks for flagged emails in Office 365" I don't know how to attach a picture to this request.
4 REPLIES 4
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j0s03w8,

According to your description, I have started a flow from the template “Create planner tasks for flagged emails in Office 365” you mentioned.

However, the issue that the tasks get duplicated multiple times doesn’t occur on my side.

The flow will be triggered only one time when an email is flagged and one task will be created in Planner.

Could you try again with it?

Please feel free post back if you are still having the issue.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

i got the same issue,

whenever i answer or receive a followup of the same mail conversation as the flagged e-mail, i got another task created .

seems like answering or receiving a mail with the same subject is similar as  flagging a new email .

i suppose that @j0s03w8  is referring to this issue,

best regards,

neumant

This is also happening to my team. We used the prebuilt template "Create a Planner Task for Flagged E-Mails", and anytime somebody replies to that thread it treats it as if we have re-flagged the same message and duplicates the task in planner.

itamarf_ezom

hi 

there are many solutions to this problem. however this is the neatly one for this.

as you know there isn't an extra field in Microsoft planner or Microsoft Outlook, so you need to organize them in some table.

the relation between taskid and conversation id is 1 to 1. (trick 1)

so and that way you don't need to save this nasty id's in your task title or description.

mail2task_excel configuration.JPG

conversation id is the key for no duplicates for many emails that originated from the first email, set by you or to you.

the algorithm is:

get a flagged email then try to get a conversation id from the table

if you found one the get the task and update the existing task

if not create a new roe and the create a new task.

how we check if the task already exists? by searching the conversation id in the table

using "get a row" from excel

mail2task_get a row excel.JPG

if the operation succeeds you go for update the task 

but what happens if it fails, the flow will stop and nothing happens.

so we need to configure "run after"

mail2task_configure run after_1.JPG

and in this window check also the has faild to continue wit the flow

mail2task_configure run after_2.JPG

when the flow will fail, and it will get a NULL value

so this how you differ new on one from the existing one.

this the trick number 2

I hoped that help

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,170)