cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gloriia
Frequent Visitor

Flow doesn't get triggered

Hi peops, 

so here is the thing - I might just not understand something or something isn't working correctly.

This is what I'm working with: 

• SharePoint Online List with two content types
  • Power Automate Flow (when a new item was created or modified) that is supposed to fill out the title and the reminder date, trigger conditions: if the last editor was not USERX
  • No workflow history
  • Error if triggering something manually 

Here are my steps:

Gloriia_0-1661949290720.png

Click on trigger and change the item:

Gloriia_1-1661949331931.png

Go back to my flow and then I get this error: 

Gloriia_2-1661949377628.png

My content types titles are both optional, so I don't know why this is showing up. My workflow history is completely blank, too.

What I tried out: 

• I deleted just my trigger and added it back, didn't work
  • I deleted my Flow and created a new one with the same actions, didn't work
  • I hid the title field in the settings of my content type, didn't work (changed it back to optional and tried again, but that was also not working)

Can someone please help me out with this?

Update: Just checked again, but it seems like my field is set up to be optional, but if I open up a form it's not optional?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Paul, my colleague is back so I was able to talk to him about this solution. 

There is a very easy workaround to my problem: set the default of the title to some sort of placeholder (in my case a simple "-") and then update the title via PowerAutomate which I was using anyways. No need for PowerApps!

But thank you regardless! ❤️

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

By default the Title column in SharePoint is required.  Even if you change it to not be required in SharePoint I believe that the connector is written to expect a value.  That's why I think you are getting the error.  Try doing what you are doing now, but put something in the Title field when you create the item and see if the trigger doesn't work as expected.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi Paul, thank you for your answer. My customer doesn't want the title column to show up in the form. I had planned on just giving it a name via PowerAutomate and hide it in all the forms, but if that's what the connector is looking for then it won't be possible, no? Do you know a different way to go at this?

I haven't really tried it.  I usually just rename the label for Title on the form and reuse it for a different field.  I would just try it first to see if that is what is causing the problem. If it is there are several different ways that you might handle it and still keep it hidden.

I normally do that, too, but in this case all of the other fields are look-ups or multiline so that's not an option. 

But you're right, it did work out once it was filled... 

@Pstork1 wrote:

I haven't really tried it.  I usually just rename the label for Title on the form and reuse it for a different field.  I would just try it first to see if that is what is causing the problem. If it is there are several different ways that you might handle it and still keep it hidden.

Is there a way where the user doesn't have to fill it out in the new form?

If you are using Power Apps for the new form then you can create a default value that will automatically be filled in when the form is submitted.  That should work even if you hide the field for the title on the form.

In this case it's really just a list and PowerApps would be an overkill for what I'm trying to do. Any other way?

If its a SharePoint list you use Power Apps to create a customized form in the context of the list.  It will create the form for you.  You would just need to add whatever logic you want to handle the required field in the form instead of in SharePoint.

Hi Paul, my colleague is back so I was able to talk to him about this solution. 

There is a very easy workaround to my problem: set the default of the title to some sort of placeholder (in my case a simple "-") and then update the title via PowerAutomate which I was using anyways. No need for PowerApps!

But thank you regardless! ❤️

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,565)