cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ArtW
Level: Powered On

Flow that sends email based on calculated date.

I'm adding this to a couple forums becasue I cannot find anyone that can answer this after 2 months.  I have a SharePoint page and need to create a flow using 3 columns.  The columns are POP Start (Period of Performance) / ITR Report Preparation / Job Manager.

I created a Recurrance Flow using a fixed date, but when calculated the flow fails and no viable solution has been presented yet. Can SOMEONE please show me a true tested flow with the following that is successful?

Here are the 3 columns as they would appear in SharePoint:  The flow needs to read the POP Start date, calculate the ITR date which is plus 820 days after PoP and then send an email to the job manager.

SharePoint Columns.jpg

Below is how each column is set up: Pop Start is  Date Column / ITR Preparation is a "Calculated column" with the calculation as shown "=[Pop start]+820" and job manager email is "person or group"3 columns.jpg

HERE IS MY STARTING POINT that when the ITR column was fixed and no caluclated it worked. Column nasmes slightly different but concept the same.

successful flow.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Flow that sends email based on calculated date.

@ArtW 

What I unerstood i that you need to send the email after calculating ITR column, right? Or you need to send the email when ITR date is reached?

Let's assume it is the first approach.

In my screenshot, I take a first item from one of my sharepoint lists, and used "Created" column of type Date as "PoP Start". So, I initialize a variable with name "PoP Start" and add "Created" column value to it. You do not need to use variables in your flow, but this way you can understand what I am doing better.

Then, I initialize another variable I will call "ITR REport Preparation" and add an expression to add 820 days to " PoP Start".

THen I just need to add a "Send email" to the manager, adding whatever relevant info you need in the Subject / Body. I have not added this step in my example, but you will see on the screenshot the result when executing it, the "PoP Start" and the "ITR Report" calculated by Flow

Hope this helps

flow_calculated.png

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

ArtW

If you can give me an example of how to build that i will try anything at thisd point.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@ArtW 

Please see again my first post. I edited it adding an example flow, in which the flow calculates "ITR reporting date" by adding 820 days to "PoP start".

I was just wondering if you want to send the email inmediately after flow calculated "ITR reporting" date, or you need to wait for "ITR reporting Date" reached to sent a reminder email.

If the answer is to wait for "ITR reporting date" reached, then you can trigger your flow daily, fill all rows with "ITR reporting date" empty, and compare the flow execution's date with "ITR Reporting date" from the SP items already with a value on this column.

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

ArtW

First: The email needs to be sent when the calculted ITR Report date matches the current date. In other words, if the PoP started today, the email needs to be sent 820 days from today.

Second: I assume you are using Compose? Where does the email come in?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi again

Then the only solution I can think of is the following:

trigger your flow daily

1.- get items from your SP list

2.- filter items with "ITR reporting date" empty by means of Filter Array action block #1, add an apply to each action block #1 using the output of Filter Array #1 as its input, and fill each "ITR reporting date" by means of Update item action block inside Apply to each

3.- filter items with "ITR reporting date" not empty by means of Filter Array action block #2, add an apply to each action block #2 using the output of Filter Array #2 as its input, inside the apply to each add a condition to compare the flow execution's date with "ITR Reporting date" from each SP items. If date matches (condition true branch) add Send an Email Action Block. Leave condition false branch empty

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

ArtW

Sorry to say I'm fairly new at FLOW so a lot of what you said I have no idea what you mean?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,686)