cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sitrain1942
Frequent Visitor

Flow to insert multiple hyperlinks in a SP list column

Hi there!

Is there any way to insert multiple clickable hyperlinks on a multiple lines of text columns using flows?

Unfortunately the Hyperlink column type doesn't accept more than 1 link and when using flows I could only insert the address as  plain text there, it's a different story when you copy and paste the address on the columns manually, but my list is to big to do it this way.

P.S. I'm showing links to general sites in the picture, but the links will refer to a documents in a SharePoint library. 

Sitrain1942_0-1606748399484.png

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking something like building an array of URLs and using the uuencode functions. I've not done it myself... when I had a similar requirement I explicitly wanted each URL as a separate record anyway.  Best of Luck

craig_gregory
Frequent Visitor

I'm looking for an answer on this one too that would detail how it can be done.  Trying to take my documents that match up to my ID in the SharePoint List.  That's the easy part on my end.  What I'm struggling with is what Sitrain has asked about.  I need power automate to grab each url and then have it add to a MLOT column.  I have found solutions using variables and arrays posted in the forum but it lumps it as one gigantic hyper-link.  How do I break them out so each URL is its own line and separate hyper-link.

@Pstork1 or @RezaDorrani  just checking if either of you would have any insight into how to solve for this in Power Automate?

The key is to input the hyperlinks as HTML code and use an HTML break between lines.  For example, the following code generates two hyperlinks in a multiline column set to allow for Rich Text (HTML).  Just build out the text in a string variable or a compose and insert the compose into the column.

<a href="https://www.dontpapanic.com">My Web Site</a><br>
<a href="https://www.dontpapanic.com/Blog">My Blog</a>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@Pstork1 thank you for replying.  I'm a little confused for I tried putting the <a href piece into compose expression and doesn't like it.  My href would be link this <a href = "Link to item">See attachment</a><br>  Now the link to item is the hyperlink from the SharePoint documents in the document library.  My original format that I was looking at but due to concat was pushing into one long string would not due.  Following is example I was following for the concat:  https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/How-to-produce-a-multi-line-text-in-a-lis...  Paul would you be willing to share screen shot example of where or how be putting that href into play with the compose and variable to be applied to all that match said ID number?  Appreciate your help. 🙂

I basically did what you described and it works fine for me.

image.png

@Pstork1 thank you very much!  I was thinking I had to use expression not just type it in the Input box 😂.
Paul the automate ran nicely but when it came in the SharePoint list MLOT column it still was not broken out and was including the href text.  I kept digging before reaching out again.  I did find what was needed with some sleuthing via Google searching.  Seems needed one other piece for this solution.  In my create item for that column had to write expression decodeUriComponent(variables('my variable name'))  This then ignored the href and br texts and translated it just to show the name of the document and they documents corresponding where separated out into two separate links all in the same MLOT column field.  Whooooaaaaahhhh!  Thanks again Paul.

It might have been something to do with your using a variable.  In my case I was taking the link directly from the Get Items in SharePoint.  So I didn't need to decode anything.

Sebastiendb9
Advocate V
Advocate V

Is there a way to have multiple hyperlinks (in the same record in the same column) in a SharePoint document library? How? @Pstork1 

Not in a hyperlink column, but it would be possible in a Multiple lines of text column that is set for Rich Text.

Could you please clarify how you can "set the 'Multiple lines of text' column to Rich Text"? In document library I only see the option to set "The type of information in this column is: Multiple lines of text".

You can't use rich text in a document library column.  That option is only available in list.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,206)