cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user180618
Helper I
Helper I

'From (Send as)' on behalf of co-owners of Flow

I have a Flow that sends an email when a SharePoint list item is created. The Flow's 'Send an email' action is configured to send as the creator of the SharePoint item (I've also assigned all item creators as co-owners of the Flow). However, the Flow fails when anyone other than me creates an item due to: "You are not authorized to send mail on behalf of the specified sending account."

When I leave the 'From (Send as)' as blank, every email is sent from me (as the original owner of the Flow). I know that one workaround to all this is to assign 'Send on behalf' permissions in the admin center, but is there a way to not have me as the email sender every time an item is created? If not the item creator, then at least 'Microsoft Flow' as the sender?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobElliott
Super User
Super User

@user180618 the Send an email (v2) will always send from you as the creator of the flow if you haven't set the Send As. You can use the "Send an email notification (v3) to have email sent by Microsoft Power Apps and Flow. But be aware that connector can only send 100 emails in any 24 hours period.

In my company we now use a separate service/shared mailbox to send flow from and use the "Send an email from a shared mailbox" action.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
RobElliott
Super User
Super User

@user180618 the Send an email (v2) will always send from you as the creator of the flow if you haven't set the Send As. You can use the "Send an email notification (v3) to have email sent by Microsoft Power Apps and Flow. But be aware that connector can only send 100 emails in any 24 hours period.

In my company we now use a separate service/shared mailbox to send flow from and use the "Send an email from a shared mailbox" action.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@user180618 

I agree with the comments made by @RobElliott but would like to suggest an alternative.  Try using the Send an email notification action (it has a green icon).  It allows you to send email that will be sent from "PowerApps or Power Automate" rather than from the connection used.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Hi Scott,

could you please explain how this sends from power automate? Id like to remove my name from all email notifications, as the owner 🙂

@Jonathan-101 it just does, it's built into the action.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Hi Rob,

so if I change my flows to include 'send an email notification action (it has a green icon)' instead of send an email v2. All emails will appear sent from power automate instead of the owner? 😀

@Jonathan-101 yes that's right, as I said in first reply in this thread it will be sent by Microsoft Power Apps and Flow.

Rob
Los Gallardos

wow - Ill give that a go - thank you 😄

Rob, how do I add an email address to the email from manually trigger a flow? 

@Jonathan-101 if the other information to go into the email is in a SharePoint list then you could add a JSON-formatted button to trigger the flow. Your trigger in that case would be "for a selected item" and you would add a email type input:

1-ForASelectedItem-email.png

The JSON code would look similar to this - you have to change the flow ID to YOUR flow's ID:

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "button",
  "txtContent": "Publish",
  "customRowAction": {
    "action": "executeFlow",
    "actionParams": "='{\"id\":  \"' + if([$Control] =='','d4e4bb15-504f-44d5-b94c-745ddc4ce1bb','')+ '\"}'"
  },
  "style": {
    "background-color": "=if(([$Control] == 'Published'),'#333333','#1f5f61')",
    "color": "white"
  }
}

The SharePoint list looks like this once you've applied the JSON code:
2-Button.png

When you click the button a panel will open on the right of the list for you enter the email address and set the flow running.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Thank you Rob

@Jonathan-101 a simpler approach in case your data is not in a SharePoint list, or you don't want to tangle with the JSON-formatted button, is to just add an email input into the "Manually trigger a flow".

Rob
Los Gallardos

Thank you Rob, that will probably be better, my only concern is the team correctly inputting their email address 🤯 and the flow not running.

@Jonathan-101 yes we've had a problem like that, particularly when using Microsoft Forms. As a result for several applications I now use Power Apps so that a username can be selected rather than relying on correct typing, and a button in that app triggers the flow.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Thanks for that Rob, I'm new to power automate so that may be outside of my skill set 😀

Hi @RobElliott I'm having similar issue on my side, but cannot find this action item (maybe it got removed). Any other recommendation to workaround this? Thanks a lot!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,502)