cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew_blubase
Level: Powered On

Get attachments - Multiple list item attachments; only 3 are returned

Hello,

Has anyone got experience with the Get attchments from a list item action? I am trying to use this action before doing a copy of these files in to a document library.

In general this item works very well, but if a list item has more than 3 attachments, only 3 are provided in the array body for that item. There are no errors, it just seems to truncate and move on to next steps.

any help or suggestions appreciated for how to solve this issue.

thanks

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andrew_blubase

Re: Get attachments - Multiple list item attachments; only 3 are returned

Hi everyone,

so I think I have found a reason and potential solution/consideration.

Using the  "Item Created" trigger, upon my saving of an item, the list item is created there and then. The attachments are then uploaded and added to this item simultaneously.

However, as Flow is running persistently, this often picks up from the fact that the item is indeed created. It will not care if attachments have not finished uploading yet, therefore only pulling in to the array the number of attachments currently present.

So the more attachments there are, and the larger they are, the less likely your flow array for "Get attachments" will be to contain all the list item attachments.

I guess this is also partly dependent on the upload link of your location!

In any case, for the purpose of checking this, I have added a "Schedule Delay" action of 2 minutes before the flow enters the "Get attachments" action. This worked and all item attachments are included.

Andrew

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi andrew_blubase,

According to your description, it seems that you are trying to save SharePoint list attachments to SharePoint library.

To test this issue, I created a flow likes below. There are four attachments in the list item and all of them are copied to the library successfully.

3.PNG

4.PNG

I am not able to reproduce the issue you mentioned that “only 3 are provided in the array body for that item”. Please try again with it.

If you are still having the issue, please feel free post back with a screenshot of your flow configuration to help reproduce this issue.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
andrew_blubase

Hi Mabel,

thanks for testing this.

I have just tried again by creating a new list item with 10 attachments. This time I got 5 items in the array and copied to the library.

See attachments for list item, flow configuration and success screen for the flow run. new-item for-flow-get-attachments.PNG

flow-get-attachments - success-only-5-attachments.PNG

flow-get-attachments.PNG

This is in my default Flow environment.

any further advice?

thanks

Andrew

andrew_blubase

Hi everyone,

so I think I have found a reason and potential solution/consideration.

Using the  "Item Created" trigger, upon my saving of an item, the list item is created there and then. The attachments are then uploaded and added to this item simultaneously.

However, as Flow is running persistently, this often picks up from the fact that the item is indeed created. It will not care if attachments have not finished uploading yet, therefore only pulling in to the array the number of attachments currently present.

So the more attachments there are, and the larger they are, the less likely your flow array for "Get attachments" will be to contain all the list item attachments.

I guess this is also partly dependent on the upload link of your location!

In any case, for the purpose of checking this, I have added a "Schedule Delay" action of 2 minutes before the flow enters the "Get attachments" action. This worked and all item attachments are included.

Andrew

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a related problem: I use the trigger on create or modify. When a list item with attachments triggers the flow that sends an email containing the list item and attachments, the flow is triggered multiple times. Once for the creation of the initial item, and the once for each attachment. I assume the modify trigger is kicking off for each attachment as the attachment upload completes. I'll try the delay function, but suspect the attachment triggers will just stack up in the queue.

JerryCote

Thanks Andrew - this was definitely the answer.  After only one of my three attachments came across, I deleted that one and resubmitted the instance, and got all three (as all three were in place by then.)  A two-minute delay should be sufficient for all but very large docs.

fabioconverge

WooW!

Thanks for solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 394 members 6,310 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: