Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olgaoszcz
Advocate V
Advocate V

Get error message for the action 'on failure'

Hi, 

I'm trying to set up error handling in one of my flows. I have 'Create file' action and then 'Exacute strored procedure' on failure. First issue i noticed is if my 'create file' failes but the stored procedure is executed, in the run history it still says Flow was succesfull. I don't think thats informative enought - something still failed and it should be visible in the run history.

failed but successfull.png

You can't just say it run successfully, when one of the steps failed...

Second issue I have is that I have the information on which step of my flows failed but I would also like to get the error message flow provides.

errormsg.png

It would make life so much easier to have the error message avaliable as a dynamic content... Does anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas on how to work around it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
yashag2255
Super User
Super User

Hi @olgaoszcz 

The action "Create File Failure Event" you have modified the run after settings of this action to run even when the Creaet File Action fails (please click the ... on the action to see the run after settings) and therefore flow carries on the process instead of marking failed because it is being made to move to the next action forcefully when the particular action has failed (makes sense?)

The get error message as dynamic content is currently unavailable as a direct action in flow. You can post that as an idea here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

MichelH
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi 

olgaoszcz

I have been trying to obtain the same thing, just simply getting the error message in flow, and sending it to myself.

I found it can be done using the actions() function.

In your case the argument of the action function would be 'Create_file' since that is the name of the component you want to monitor.

It will return an object somewhat like this example of: actions('Set_variable_3')

{
  "name": "Set_variable_3",
  "startTime": "2019-09-09T19:46:51.4123218Z",
  "endTime": "2019-09-09T19:46:51.4123218Z",
  "trackingId": "53a0681f-7810-4bbe-9494-a5cdcdeadb0b",
  "clientTrackingId": "08586335800123686594686241510CU42",
  "clientKeywords": [
    "testFlow"
  ],
  "code": "BadRequest",
  "status": "Failed",
  "error": {
    "code": "InvalidTemplate",
    "message": "Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Set_variable_3' inputs at line '1' and column '2677': 'The template language expression 'actions('conversion_to_currency').outputs.body.status' cannot be evaluated because property 'status' doesn't exist, available properties are 'name, value'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'."
  }
}

So in my case the name of the component I monitored was 'Set_variable_3' .

Now in order for you to get just the error message you can say: actions('Create_file').error.message

If you want to check first if the action failed or succeeded you can check the status: actions('Create_file').status

You can use these as arguments in the SQL 'Create_Failure_Event' component to store the error message if any.

Or you use these to fire a terminate component that matches the status

Best regards,

Michel

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
yashag2255
Super User
Super User

Hi @olgaoszcz 

The action "Create File Failure Event" you have modified the run after settings of this action to run even when the Creaet File Action fails (please click the ... on the action to see the run after settings) and therefore flow carries on the process instead of marking failed because it is being made to move to the next action forcefully when the particular action has failed (makes sense?)

The get error message as dynamic content is currently unavailable as a direct action in flow. You can post that as an idea here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Hi @yashag2255,

Thank you for your message.

I set up the 'on failure' on purpose only after the create file fails to handle the errors. As i understand thats what it was developed for...  https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/error-handling/

Therfore I do not understand why the flow 'is successfull' when it clearly isnt, only the erros have been handled successfully...

Pstork1
Most Valuable Professional

Consider putting a Terminate action after the Create File Failure Event and set the status to Failed.  That will let you specify an error code and an error message where you can pass on the error message that you have inside the Flow. That Terminate will only run if the Create File Failure Event runs because the create file failed.  The Terminate command will End the Flow at that point (its the end anyway), mark it as failed, and the errror message will be available in the Flow Run record.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@olgaoszcz 

Yes! On the blog you can see that the error handling was configured to check and introduce a way that if a particular action is successful move and perform an action and if it is not successful (Timed out, Skipped, Failed) then do a particular action. So once you force the flow to perform actionsbased on the previous ones, the logic is built that we have intentionally added the action and we want to log it that way (example: if the action was successful go and update an item on SP and if it failed then log an error to another list or send an email to someone and then configure a retry and things like that). 

As @Pstork1 mentions, you can use the terminate action to generate an error code and show the status if something has failed but you cannot use the output of that elsewhere as the flow terminates at that action. 

Hope this helps!

Hi @Pstork1 ,

The Terminate action sounds like a good solution but the Create File Failure Event is not the end of the Flow, it's actually inside the 'apply to each' and I want the Flow to run through the other files even if one of them failed. Also, I want to have the error message as a dynamic content to send it together with the error alert. 

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Pstork1

Add an action inside the loop right after the action that can fail.  Set the new action to only run if the previous action failed using 'Configure run after'. The new action should set an error message which you can return at the end of the program.  If the previous action succeeds then the error action will be skipped. Make sure to set the other actions after the error action to run if the previous action was successful or skipped.

Thank you @Pstork1, as you can see from my post, that is exactly what I have done in my Flow. Although, this doesn't allow me to pass the error messages to the next action, there is no possibility to get the error message as dynamic content to pass it thought. This functionality doesnt exist and I'm planning to post that in Flow Ideas.

Thanks for you input.

@olgaoszcz 

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, the error message action genearted when an action fails cannot be passed further in the flow right now. It is a good idea to go ahead and create that as an idea on the community forum. 

P.S. For some reason this has been happening with me, I am trying to reply to a conversation and then suddenly the accept solution button gets clicked so please excuse me for that. Just trying not to do that (happened on a couple other threads too so my apologies)

Can you please mark this thread as answered to the appropraite post(S) that helped you!  Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search.

MichelH
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi 

olgaoszcz

I have been trying to obtain the same thing, just simply getting the error message in flow, and sending it to myself.

I found it can be done using the actions() function.

In your case the argument of the action function would be 'Create_file' since that is the name of the component you want to monitor.

It will return an object somewhat like this example of: actions('Set_variable_3')

{
  "name": "Set_variable_3",
  "startTime": "2019-09-09T19:46:51.4123218Z",
  "endTime": "2019-09-09T19:46:51.4123218Z",
  "trackingId": "53a0681f-7810-4bbe-9494-a5cdcdeadb0b",
  "clientTrackingId": "08586335800123686594686241510CU42",
  "clientKeywords": [
    "testFlow"
  ],
  "code": "BadRequest",
  "status": "Failed",
  "error": {
    "code": "InvalidTemplate",
    "message": "Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Set_variable_3' inputs at line '1' and column '2677': 'The template language expression 'actions('conversion_to_currency').outputs.body.status' cannot be evaluated because property 'status' doesn't exist, available properties are 'name, value'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'."
  }
}

So in my case the name of the component I monitored was 'Set_variable_3' .

Now in order for you to get just the error message you can say: actions('Create_file').error.message

If you want to check first if the action failed or succeeded you can check the status: actions('Create_file').status

You can use these as arguments in the SQL 'Create_Failure_Event' component to store the error message if any.

Or you use these to fire a terminate component that matches the status

Best regards,

Michel

Pstork1

What I was suggesting is that you create a variable.  Then when the action fails set an error message in the variable as the action that runs after failure.  That would preserve the error for the rest of the Flow.

You can put the result in a variable ofcourse, but I believe the resulting object of action('component_name') will remain available throughout the flow anyway.

Pstork1

The action formatting you mention should be there.  The problem is that the question said this was being processed in a loop.  That makes it tough to get back to the specific action that threw the error.  In this case I normally toss the messages into an array so I have all the error messages later.

Ah OK, bad reading on my part.

I saw the sql statement and thought status was to be written into a DB.

Hi @MichelH and @Pstork1 ,

Thank you @MichelH , that was exactly what I was looking for. The error message is supposed to be entered inside the SQL statement and stored in the database. That makes it easier for me to control the flow reliability. Thank you for your help Smiley Very Happy

@Pstork1 - You proposed to insert 'Temrinate' action inside the loop which I cannot do after the 'Create a file' because that will stop the flow immediately while I still want it to be able to loop through the other objects and continue the Flow after the loop. I need the error message only inside the loop. I have another 'on failure' later in the flow to pass errors from future actions. But thatnk you for your help and feedback.

Atima
Employee
Employee

"outputs('<action_name>')" function (in "expressions" of dynamic content) can be used to capture the output of the specified action. This can capture the errors as well but only if they are generated as output by flow at runtime. So a new step that is configured to run after an action fails can use this function to capture the dynamic error message.

Error as outputError as output

Murderbot
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

It looks like MS has changed the error reporting method recently and I am able to pull the detailed error message from an action with

body('<action name>')['errors']

. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to make this statement dynamic - you have to reference a particular action (can't use variables or nested statements).

Pstork1

If you embed the action in a scope you can use 

result('scopename') 

to get the full error messages from the action inside the scope that failed. 

MattTaylor
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @olgaoszcz,

I realise this is a bit late for a reply but just in case anyone searches this in the future and spots this, I believe you can use the outputs expression to pull results of an action - you can then parse that and pull out codes or messages. 

For example: 

screenshot.png

Kind regards,

Matt

Hey Michel, the above solution will only check for a specific action. any idea how to get the error message for any action on the flow. Because most of my flow contains more than twenty actions. so, this is not a workable solution I think

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (4,205)