How i deal with this is to run a increasing delay action i.e. 2 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, 1 day etc.
The delay action runs after a failed attempt to access the excel file.
So I encountered this error when I was creating a flow to update a Word Template based on D365 field values then create a docx file in SharePoint. My flow is prompted on D365 record create. So I would get the error whenever I would test the flow. However, when I prompted the flow with fresh data it worked as desired. So maybe try adding the now() expression to your flow. That prevented me from getting this error. It might be getting hung up on the file existing or being opened for edits previously in the flow.
I am relatively new to Power Automate so sorry if my terminology is wrong.
That would depend on the flow. Likely whatever step is giving you this error. In my case, I added it to the Create File (SharePoint) action at the end of my file name.
The Now() expression is found here in dynamic content.
Thank you @Gristy , that approach worked for me. I did the following steps to solve this for my situation:
That did the trick for me. Here are screenshots of my Flow / Power Automate:
Below is a view of from the "Configure after run" settings from Step 5.
glad you got it sorted, its a shame it does not have auto-retry built in or a wait a bit like nintex/sharepoint designer did!
Hi @chris1234 ,
Thanks so much for that. I have added that to my flow and but can't test it as the file lock is somewhat intermittent.
It's just a pity that MS won't spend the time to fix the issue at the source.
Just put in a small delay and the file will be unlocked if the flow used it.
I have put in a delay for 5min then i update the file and this works, i believe a shorter delay is possible maybe 30sec or such.
So we cannot delete file due to the limitation for Excel Online or other else,
How about we check out first and at the end check in the file.
I tested. It succeeded.
It is possible to update a locked file using a System Update. Use send HTTP request to SharePoint with the following body:
Unfortunately I found this topic when trying to resolve another issue: Whenever i use this to update a file property in SharePoint, and the file is locked by a user, the client application is not aware of this update and it overwrites the updated SharePoint list item with the value of the item locked by the user (via Auto-save even). Version history shows that the update succeeded and gets overwritten later.
In my case users want a custom document "reference" other than the standard DocID. Whenever a file gets uploaded, i use Power Automate to generate a reference, that in turn is used to fill placeholders in the newly uploaded document.
Maybe this solution can work for some.
Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!
Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021
We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!
We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!
Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!