cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Getting error The file is locked for shared use by when updating the file properties

How i deal with this is to run a increasing delay action i.e. 2 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, 1 day etc.

The delay action runs after a failed attempt to access the excel file.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Getting error The file is locked for shared use by when updating the file properties

Hello, 

So I encountered this error when I was creating a flow to update a Word Template based on D365 field values then create a docx file in SharePoint. My flow is prompted on D365 record create. So I would get the error whenever I would test the flow. However, when I prompted the flow with fresh data it worked as desired. So maybe try adding the now() expression to your flow. That prevented me from getting this error. It might be getting hung up on the file existing or being opened for edits previously in the flow. 

I am relatively new to Power Automate so sorry if my terminology is wrong. 

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @seanmcev, Where do you add this Now() expression at?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That would depend on the flow. Likely whatever step is giving you this error. In my case, I added it to the Create File (SharePoint) action at the end of my file name. 

The Now() expression is found here in dynamic content. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@juresti 

Sorry my image is not uploading it is in the expression section of dynamics content and its it "utcNow()"

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @Gristy , that approach worked for me.  I did the following steps to solve this for my situation:

1. Initialized a boolean variable called UpdateSucceeded to False
  2. created a Do Until loop based on UpdateSucceeded where it will stop looping when it equals True
  3. In the loop, I first set the UpdateSucceeded variable to True
  4. Then I updated the file what was giving the lock error (in my case a SharePoint Library file property)
  5. This is the important part:  then in the next action, a Set Variable action, I set UpdatedSucceeded to False.  However, in the properties of Set Variable, you need to select "Configure after run",  and uncheck "is Successful" and check "has failed" and "has timed out".  This way UpdatedSucceeded will only be set to False when the file update failed.  If the file update is successful, then UpdatedSucceeded is left as True and the Do Unitl loop is exited.
  6. Then I set a delay, that stepped up in value as @Gristy suggested.

That did the trick for me.  Here are screenshots of my Flow / Power Automate:

File_Locked_Work_Around.png

Below is a view of from the "Configure after run" settings from Step 5.

File_Locked_Work_Around_Condition.png

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

glad you got it sorted, its a shame it does not have auto-retry built in or a wait a bit like nintex/sharepoint designer did!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @chris1234 

Any chance you could post a screen shot of your "Do Until" loop?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @JustinR, I added screenshots to my original post.  Hope that it helps.  Thanks, Chris1234

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @chris1234 ,

Thanks so much for that. I have added that to my flow and but can't test it as the file lock is somewhat intermittent. 

It's just a pity that MS won't spend the time to fix the issue at the source.

Thanks again.

JR

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Just put in a small delay and the file will be unlocked if the flow used it.

I have put in a delay for 5min then i update the file and this works, i believe a shorter delay is possible maybe 30sec or such.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hey Guys,

So we cannot delete file due to the limitation for Excel Online or other else,

How about we check out first and at the end check in the file.

I tested. It succeeded.

2020-06-08_17-07-55.png

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It is possible to update a locked file using a System Update. Use send HTTP request to SharePoint with the following body:

<Request xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/clientquery/2009" SchemaVersion="15.0.0.0" LibraryVersion="16.0.0.0" ApplicationName="Javascript Library">
    <Actions>
        <Method Name="SetFieldValue" Id="4" ObjectPathId="3">
            <Parameters>
                <Parameter Type="String">FieldName</Parameter>
                <Parameter Type="String">Value</Parameter>
            </Parameters>
        </Method>
        <Method Name="SystemUpdate" Id="5" ObjectPathId="3" />
    </Actions>
    <ObjectPaths>
        <Property Id="1" ParentId="0" Name="Web" />
        <Method Id="2" ParentId="1" Name="GetList">
            <Parameters>
                <Parameter Type="String">/sites/SiteName/ListName</Parameter>
            </Parameters>
        </Method>
        <Method Id="3" ParentId="2" Name="GetItemById">
            <Parameters>
                <Parameter Type="Number">@{triggerBody()?['ID']}</Parameter>
            </Parameters>
        </Method>
        <StaticProperty Id="0" TypeId="{3747adcd-a3c3-41b9-bfab-4a64dd2f1e0a}" Name="Current" />
    </ObjectPaths>
</Request>

Jacques1_0-1593641437595.png

Unfortunately I found this topic when trying to resolve another issue: Whenever i use this to update a file property in SharePoint, and the file is locked by a user, the client application is not aware of this update and it overwrites the updated SharePoint list item with the value of the item locked by the user (via Auto-save even). Version history shows that the update succeeded and gets overwritten later. 

In my case users want a custom document "reference" other than the standard DocID. Whenever a file gets uploaded, i use Power Automate to generate a reference, that in turn is used to fill placeholders in the newly uploaded document.

Maybe this solution can work for some.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (7,636)