cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Having Issues With Actionable Message--cannot pass variables via "body"

My apologies if this is the wrong forum.  I searched a bit and found other similar questions for Actionable Messages here.

I'm attempting to build out a combination of Flows, and am stuck trying to get the Actionable Message to work as expected.  I've followed the documentation, with these steps:

1.  I've created a Power Automate with the "When a HTTP request is received" and copied the respective URL.
2.  I've added a Provider on the Actionable Email Developer Dashboard, using the copied URL from above.
3.  I'm currently testing out things using an Actionable Email using the Actionable Messages Designer.
4.  The test email I've designed includes the headers for Authorization and also for Content-Type, as described in your documentation.  It also has a brief text input section for testing and an Action.HTTP, which is pointed to the URL from step 1.
5.  If I send the email as is, it will allow me to make selections (that are not passed back) and it will activate my Flow--I can see the results show up in the Flow History.
6.  If I add anything to the "Body"--such as the text value from my input line as a test--I receive:  "The remote endpoint returned an error (HTTP 400).  Please try again later."  It will *not* trigger my Flow, and nothing shows up in the Flow History.
7.   An example of what fails:  {FullName:  {{Name.value}}}.  I've tried to make these changes both via the GUI within the Actionable Message Designer and directly in the Edit JSON Payload at the bottom.

Any insight to this would be much appreciated.  I've scoured for documentation, but everything I have found is showing that my steps are correct, and the error message doesn't give much as to why I stumble at this portion.

Thanks,
Jason

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jason_Collet,

You could try to use Markdown to insert the link into the Email body, for example:

[Microsoft](https://www.microsoft.com)

For more information about it, you could refer to this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/actionable-messages/message-card-reference

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted

I don't think I conveyed my question correctly.  I'm not needing to pass a link, but rather I need the selections from my inputs (text, ChoiceSet, date) in the actionable email to pass along to my PowerAutomate Flow in a manner that I can use them.  For instance, I am already able to create another header with the Key name of "Fullname" and have the value of {{FullName.value}}.  When I click the "Submit" on such an actionable email, the flow will run and I can see that the correct information is coming across in the "Fullname" header I created...but I am unable to parse that information into anything useful in my flow.

In every example I can find (including the document you just linked), the instructed method is to do something like this in the Actionable Email: 

{

"type": "ActionSet",
    "horizontalAlignment": "Left",
    "actions": [
        {
              "type": "Action.Http",
              "title": "Submit",
              "method": "POST",
             "url": <My Flow URL>
            "body": "{Option: {{Options.value}}, SuggestionText: {{Suggestions.value}}}",
            "isPrimary": true,
            "style": "positive",
            "headers": [
                   {
                           "name": "Authorization",
                           "value": ""
                   },
                   {
                          "name": "Content-Type",
                          "value": "application/json"
                   }
             ]
       }
]

...and then set up Schema in the "When a HTTP request is received" to parse out values for "Option" and "SuggestionText" in the example above.

I receive the HTTP 400 error I posted above any time I try to use the "Body" portion of the "Action.HTTP" to pass along selections made with the various inputs from my actionable emails.  Is there is another way that can pass the selections along to Power Automate that I am not aware?  Or is there something special that needs to be configured when I establish the Provider, such as an addendum to the URL the "When a HTTP request is received" provides?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (10,405)