cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Helpdesk ticketing using flow

Dear All,

I wanted to build a flow which will collect the information from users email and generate automatic email reply and work as helpdesk support email.  So it has to be as following method.

1) User sends email to helpdesk@email.com

2) User gets automatic email saying the email has been received

3) The task of this ticket assigned to a helpdesk support person

4) User gets email about the ticket has been asigned

5) Support person respond to the email and user gets reply

6) Once the resolution done the ticket will be closed

7) User will get email about ticket resolved and closed

All the above data has to be stored in a table which can be retrieved later period.  Is this possible using flow, please shed light on this.

thanks,

babu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@babubaskaran The flow is quite long but I think achieves what you want. Your list will no doubt have a lot more columns but for this example I've started with a simple SharePoint list structure:
0a-SPlist-Setup.png

and the result we'll end up with is:

0-SPList.png

So the trigger for the flow is When a new email arrives (V3). You could get it to look for just the word Ticket or something similar in the subject line by clicking on Show advanced options and entering the word in the Subject field. The next action is to get the email so you select Message Id by clicking in the Message Id field and selecting Message Id from the dynamic content. We then want to add an HTML to text action to strip out all the HTML tags and leave us with just the message body. In the Content field we select Body from the dynamic content.

0-trigger-Get-HTMLtoText.png

The next action is to create the SharePoint list item. And for the issue column select the Output from the HTML to text action. Our title column is going to hold the email address of the person who submitted the ticket. The next action is to get that item that's just been created because that way we can use the ID as the ticket number.

1-CreateItem-GetItem.png

The next action is to send an email to the person submitting the ticket.

2-SendEmail-Received.png

The next action is to send an email to whoever will assign the task. In this case because we wanted to add a link directly to the item in SharePoint we clicked the </> icon and then have to add HTML tags for each line break etc, and that way we can add an <a href=... tag and select the Link to item from the dynamic content.

3-SendEmail-toAssign.png

The next action is to add a Do until control and we've set the timeout to 8 hours and then you add another Get item. This will keep looking at the Assigned column in the list until someone has been assigned to the task. It doesn't have to be 8 hours, it could be 10 minutes or 1 month or whatever. So the person assigning will select the support person and save the list and then the Do until will move on to the next action.

4-DoUntil-Assigned.pngThat next action is to send an email to the person submitting the ticket telling them who has been assigned to the task.
5-Email-HasBeenAssigned.png

And the next action is send an email to the support person, again clicking the </> icon which allows us to add a link directly to the item.

6-Email-AssignedtoSupport.png

The next action is to update the SharePoint list changing the status value to In Progress.

7-Update-InProgress.png

We then need another Do until which will wait for up to 1 month for the support person to change the status to Completed. As before, we need another Get item in the Do until.

8-DoUntil2-Completed.png

After the support person has changed the status to completed an email is then sent to the person who submitted the ticket telling them that it has been completed.

9-Email-Completed.png

So the first email confirmation is as follows:

10-Email-Received.png

This is the email to the person assigning the task:

11-Email-WaitingAssignment.png

And we then tell the submitter that it has been assigned.

12-Email-Assignedto.png

And the email to the support person has the link to the item:

13-Email-AssignedToYou.png

And the final email back on completion of the task.

14-Email-Completed.png

To see how many tickets are open and who has been assigned to them you don't really need a flow as this can be done by setting up views of the SharePoint list and filtering it on the status column is equal to Pending or In Progress.

I'll do the daily report flow for you separately.

Come back with any questions on this.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Visitor

Forgot to mention following 2 things.

8 ) The data need to be shown how many tickets are open in a share point and with date and who is assigned to it

9) Daily report on all open tickets and its status to be emailed

@babubaskaran this is no problem with a SharePoint list and a couple of flows, 1 for items 1 to 8 and the second for item 9. I'll work up an example for you.

@babubaskaran The flow is quite long but I think achieves what you want. Your list will no doubt have a lot more columns but for this example I've started with a simple SharePoint list structure:
0a-SPlist-Setup.png

and the result we'll end up with is:

0-SPList.png

So the trigger for the flow is When a new email arrives (V3). You could get it to look for just the word Ticket or something similar in the subject line by clicking on Show advanced options and entering the word in the Subject field. The next action is to get the email so you select Message Id by clicking in the Message Id field and selecting Message Id from the dynamic content. We then want to add an HTML to text action to strip out all the HTML tags and leave us with just the message body. In the Content field we select Body from the dynamic content.

0-trigger-Get-HTMLtoText.png

The next action is to create the SharePoint list item. And for the issue column select the Output from the HTML to text action. Our title column is going to hold the email address of the person who submitted the ticket. The next action is to get that item that's just been created because that way we can use the ID as the ticket number.

1-CreateItem-GetItem.png

The next action is to send an email to the person submitting the ticket.

2-SendEmail-Received.png

The next action is to send an email to whoever will assign the task. In this case because we wanted to add a link directly to the item in SharePoint we clicked the </> icon and then have to add HTML tags for each line break etc, and that way we can add an <a href=... tag and select the Link to item from the dynamic content.

3-SendEmail-toAssign.png

The next action is to add a Do until control and we've set the timeout to 8 hours and then you add another Get item. This will keep looking at the Assigned column in the list until someone has been assigned to the task. It doesn't have to be 8 hours, it could be 10 minutes or 1 month or whatever. So the person assigning will select the support person and save the list and then the Do until will move on to the next action.

4-DoUntil-Assigned.pngThat next action is to send an email to the person submitting the ticket telling them who has been assigned to the task.
5-Email-HasBeenAssigned.png

And the next action is send an email to the support person, again clicking the </> icon which allows us to add a link directly to the item.

6-Email-AssignedtoSupport.png

The next action is to update the SharePoint list changing the status value to In Progress.

7-Update-InProgress.png

We then need another Do until which will wait for up to 1 month for the support person to change the status to Completed. As before, we need another Get item in the Do until.

8-DoUntil2-Completed.png

After the support person has changed the status to completed an email is then sent to the person who submitted the ticket telling them that it has been completed.

9-Email-Completed.png

So the first email confirmation is as follows:

10-Email-Received.png

This is the email to the person assigning the task:

11-Email-WaitingAssignment.png

And we then tell the submitter that it has been assigned.

12-Email-Assignedto.png

And the email to the support person has the link to the item:

13-Email-AssignedToYou.png

And the final email back on completion of the task.

14-Email-Completed.png

To see how many tickets are open and who has been assigned to them you don't really need a flow as this can be done by setting up views of the SharePoint list and filtering it on the status column is equal to Pending or In Progress.

I'll do the daily report flow for you separately.

Come back with any questions on this.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Hi Rob,

This is excellent detailed information, I will try this and keep you posted.  Thanks for your kind help on this.

@RobElliott 

Perfect, Thank you

I have a question, would you help, please?

In the last step, I need to send attachments (if there is any) to end user. some times, service desk adds some files / instructions to ticket. how I can get them from sharepoint and send by email(last step). 

ticket.JPG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (66,125)